• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i3-3240 vs G3258, or other haswell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcgamer4life

I picked up an i3-3240 for next to nothing, and want to build an itx machine off of it, primarily as server (most likely Server 2012 either dual booting something like centos or running a VM in Hyper-V). The problem is that an 1155 itx motherboard costs about the same as one in 1150. My logic is that if I'm going to purchase a motherboard, it might as well be in the latest platform to get sata3, usb3, etc.

Would I be better served selling the 3240, and buying something like a G3258? I'd break about even doing it this way, and would have a newer platform, but would lose a little bit of juice and HT (which could be beneficial since it's a server). Given how well the G3258 can OC, though, I might be able to make up for it (especially given how poorly the 3240 can OC.)

Thoughts? Thanks!

That platform, 1155, has USB3/SATA3, etc...What, exactly, do you believe you are missing? About the only thing I can think of is M.2 slots?

Sorry, I should have specified that I'm looking at nearly bottom of the barrel budget ITX boards. On 1155, most are USB2 and SATA2 mostly (budget meaning ~$50). Really, I have trouble buying into a 2+ year old platform when I know something newer is out there. If the 3240 will perform better than an overclocked Haswell chip (something like the G3258), then it makes sense to invest in 1155. If performance will be worse or roughly equal, it might make more sense to invest in an 1155 platform.

Back