• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-2320 only running at 1.6Ghz after Mobo change

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

depth-10

Hello all,

Recently purchased a Dell Inspirion with an i5-2320 at 3Gz stock. Even checked CPU-Z to confirm.

Just basically rebuilt the whole system (only keeping the cpu and 6gb of memory) and now all of the utilities I use say it's running at 1.6Ghz? (16 x 100 FSB). I remember it being 15 x 200 FSB before the rebuild.

I installed:

Enermax PSU 650W
ASRock Z77 Pro3
Radeon HD 6870

Everything is working fine, but my cpu is reporting a lower (almost HALF) core speed. Any ideas why this might be?

I could easily just bump the FSB to 200 or some derivation of, but I'm unsure about the VCORE as well as the steps to simply overclock the CPU.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

That is normal, because you have EIST enabled in bios. It lowers the multiplier when the computer is at idle to save power. If you do something CPU intensive and watch CPUZ then you will see the speed increase with demand. You can turn it off in bios if you want to. The same goes for C3/C6. Hope this explains it for you.

When you put a load on the CPU does it jump back up? If so, then greg is right.

Also, there is absolutely no chance you would be able to put the bclk to 200Mhz. This generation of chips on ambient cooling you would be in the 105ish range. These do not overclock like past generation CPUs. If you want to overclock you would need to buy a "K" series CPU like the 3570k.

Back