• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-3570K fluctuating temperatures; should I be concerned?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicky9499

Registered
Hi all,

I recently bought a nice Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H board, which let me overclock my processor.
So far everything is working out very nicely. In fact, I've set the multiplier to 16, so at idle it's actually using ~8 watts. Turbo Boost setting is 42, 40, 38, 37 for 1, 2, 3, 4-core utilisation, respectively.
I'm using a Deepcool tower heatsink with 3 heatpipes and a Gentle Typhoon strapped on it, so it's cooled very nicely, with 40* idle in 30* ambient.

My question is, now that I've got the clocks setup like this, I'm seeing per core temperature fluctuate between 40 and 50+ *C very quickly. On average it's still pulling less than 10W, but there are many spikes from 1.6 GHz to 3.7+ GHz due to background processes and whatever. Should I be concerned about the significant fluctuations in core temperature and how it might cause extra stress due to expansion/contraction? Would it be more advisable to constantly run it at a baseline 3.7 GHz instead?

What you describe is normal as it simply reflects the algorithm of the Intel Advanced Power Management (APM) scheme. There is this constant interplay between Intel Enhanced Speedstep technology, Turbo and who knows what else trying to deliver optimum performance while keeping power consumption (and heat) down. And even a small load like a background process creates can send all that into motion.

Drink a beer, grab a razor blade, and then delid the processor very carefully and apply new thermal paste under the alluminum plate, you can watch a youtube video on it, i did. it works great just be very careful... maybe drink the beer after.

btw u own my old motherboard, i lost channel b memory slots and could only support 16 gb total memory, was driving me nuts just watch it. its really not the best board, i couldnt get my i5 over 4.4ghz with it.

Back