• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 3570k running a bit warm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jpullen88

Registered
I have an i5 3570k and z77 extreme 4. I just put it together and got it up and running other day. Everything is 100% stock. So I start looking into overclocking the i5 and run a few benchmarks and stress tests to get a baseline. Intel Burn Test on 100% max is peaking my i5 at 105c. It should be like 80c or so? Or is that normal? Under no load it is between 35-40c.

So I thought maybe it was not seated correctly. I took off the supplied Intel cooler, reapplied the arctic silver 5, as they rec. on their website, and reseated the heat sink. Run IBT again and same result, 105c.

Obviously it could be the heat sink, but i've never seen one (other non i5's) run that hot even with stock.

Any ideas? Could it be a bad i5?

Wait, you're hitting 105c at stock speeds? o.0 which setting in IBT are you running (how large of mem on the burns)?

Obviously, out of the box, you shouldn't be hitting TJ Max regardless of how hard you're pushing a chip (imo).

Conumdrum's right (as he usually is)- it's a hot chip, but a little research will show that, in no way, are all ivy's are created equally. You may just have a dud chip there with a poorly-done heat sink in between the PCB and IHS.

Or, you suck at applying heatsink or forgot to plug in the CPU fan? ;)

kidding aside, you may consider delidding/replacing the chip (buy it from somewhere else to try to get a different stock).

I'm pretty sure I put the heat sink on correctly. It feels solid. CPU fan plugged in and everything.

However, I just ran the stress again to get it up to 90-95c and touched the heat sink, feels cool to the touch. It should heat up pretty quick, right? Prime95 gets up close to 100c also.

think a different cooler would fix it or should i RMA?

Last edited:
What does CPU-Z show as the Vcore while stress testing? And I assume you're using either Core Temp or Real Temp to monitor the core temp's?

All the following is at stock clocks, I have reapplied the heat sink (stock) 3 times now with arctic silver 5. Pretty much same result. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Idle
Approx 1.088v to 1.112
RealTemp - 33/38/30/34 C

IBT max
Range 1.184v to 1.216v
RealTemp Max - 96/101/101/97 C

Last edited:
Just to verify, and I don't mean to insult your intelligence. But when you pushed down on each of the four heatsink legs, you heard a loud click (indicates the clip is locked in place)? And each of the white plastic tabs is spread apart completely, and locked under the PCB like in the pic?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 163
yes, the heat sink is locked down pretty tight and it looks just like the picture.

I ran a few games and it seems they peak about 68c or so.

Thats odd because my 3570k, is on the stock heatsink runing at 4.0 and i have never gone over 60 playing bf3

In the BIOS what do you have the CPU Fan setting set to, Automatic or Full On? If set to Auto, what are the Target Fan Speed and Target Temp settings? And on the Hardware Monitor screen of the AXTU, what does it show for no-load and loaded fan speeds?

Last edited:
oG A, what if you run IBT? What are your voltages and temps?

jpullen88, can you post screenshots of your CPU-Z tabs under P95 load?

Pics of the inside of your case?

Ohh also, is the CPU fan spinning up to LOUD when your running load tests?

Idk ill have to get back to you on that im away from my pc, but when i get home ill go ahead and run it as well as post some pics of the temps.

Thanks Og!

jpullen88, you could very well not have the CPU fan speeding up when temps change. That is a setting in your BIOS.

I say that because your idle temps are perfectly fine.

In the BIOS what do you have the CPU Fan setting set to, Automatic or Full On? If set to Auto, what are the Target Fan Speed and Target Temp settings? And on the Hardware Monitor screen of the AXTU, what does it show for no-load and loaded fan speeds?

Set to Auto in BIOS and AXTU
Target is level 10 and temp is 45c
Idle fan - 2k rpm
Load fan - 2k rpm

As for the fans, it seems they run at full blast 100% of the time.

jpullen88, can you post screenshots of your CPU-Z tabs under P95 load?

Pics of the inside of your case?

Ohh also, is the CPU fan spinning up to LOUD when your running load tests?

fan doesn't speed up but it seems that it always runs at max?
Don't have camera right now, but I have the side of the case off and the two stock fans (top/back) blowing in (top) and oout (back)

Attachments

• CPUz.jpg
    CPUz.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 159
Ok here are the pics of the inside, full load prime 95, and the back showing the heat sink pokers. Everything look ok or am I missing something?

Attachments

• Prime.png
    Prime.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20130407_081759.jpg
    IMG_20130407_081759.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20130407_081558.jpg
    IMG_20130407_081558.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 157
I hate to ask you to remove the CPU again, but I'd like to see what the surfaces of the IHS and HSF look like after removing the TIM and thoroughly cleaning the surfaces.

I hate to ask you to remove the CPU again, but I'd like to see what the surfaces of the IHS and HSF look like after removing the TIM and thoroughly cleaning the surfaces.

Your killin me, lol. Assuming the surfaces are terrible, which they did not appear to be, could that cause a 30-40c temp difference when under load?

If the fan doesn't speed up get out the Mobo manual and check the CPU fan setup. It should get much faster from idle to load. You for sure can hear the diff with the case side off. I'll put money on it's fan speed.

Back