• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 3570k running a bit warm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If the fan doesn't speed up get out the Mobo manual and check the CPU fan setup. It should get much faster from idle to load. You for sure can hear the diff with the case side off. I'll put money on it's fan speed.

The cpu fan appears to be running at 100% all the time, 2000 rpm. I can slow it down manually to about 800 or so but I haven't been able to get it to go over 2000.

So I changed the core voltage in the BIOS from auto to 1.025 and now running IBT on max the temps are better.

Idle vCore 1.015-1.025v
29/35/28/31c

IBT max load - .960-.968v
67/73/71/70c

My current hypothesis: for some reason the auto core voltage setting on my extreme4 ASRock board was too high? Lowering the voltage gave me more "normal" temps under load.

Now as far as I can recall in regards to OC'ing. You basically, adjust the clock and voltage until you reach a sort of apex in regards to stability, speed, and max temps, right?

So I changed the core voltage in the BIOS from auto to 1.025 and now running IBT on max the temps are better.

Idle vCore 1.015-1.025v
29/35/28/31c

IBT max load - .960-.968v
67/73/71/70c

My current hypothesis: for some reason the auto core voltage setting on my extreme4 ASRock board was too high? Lowering the voltage gave me more "normal" temps under load.

Now as far as I can recall in regards to OC'ing. You basically, adjust the clock and voltage until you reach a sort of apex in regards to stability, speed, and max temps, right?

Yep, now you head over to the Intel CPU forum and read the awesome sticky on how to start overclocking.

Warning, you won't get far on the stock cooler, but 4.0 should be easy enough with it. take your time, follow the steps one by one, you got lots of reboots to do and load tests again, again and again till your happy. Then you sit back and be amazed at your awesomeness......:D:clap::attn:

So I ended up buying a few more fans and a different HSF (hyper 212 plus) to see how that helps. I suppose if it is still running super hot on the stock settings i'll RMA it. I should be able to expect 65-75c or lower with stock clocks/voltages on prime95/IBT?

So, I bought 3 new fans and the hyper 212 plus. It was a little tricky getting it all in due to its humongous size but i got it all. Been running IBT for a few runs and it is a HUGE difference

Before, all stock setting
Idle
Approx 1.088v to 1.112
RealTemp - 33/38/30/34 C

IBT max
Range 1.184v to 1.216v
RealTemp Max - 96/101/101/97 C

With new fans/hyper 212

Idle
Approx 1.128v to 1.152
RealTemp - 26/33/25/28 C

IBT max
Range 1.208v to 1.216v
RealTemp Max - 66/75/72/70 C

About 30c cooler overall. This seems to be a bit more normal or is it still a bit high? At any rate, I think I can live with it.

Back