• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I5 9600k OC newbie, opinions/pointers would help! thankyou!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johncammer96

Registered
I just built a new gaming Rig, with the I5 9600k on a MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon (MSI), I just went into Bios and changed multiplier to 47 (4.7GHz) Everything else has not been touched except for smart fan curve, I see on HW monitor Voltage peaked around 1.296 and kinda stayed around 1.288 most of the time on Intel Burn Test. (Vcore on auto) I got around 79- 80 max on a few cores while the other cores stayed in upper 70s (Intel Burn test was ran on maximum and passed!). 4.7GHz is good enough for me now so i don't really need to up it any now but probably will experiment in the future, just curious on how I can keep this OC but maybe bring temps down by adjusting Vcore lower and other settings or maybe this is an ok result, I got a Noctua NH-D15s, yes I know its an air cooler but its still pretty good! is it safe to OC with alot of the settings on auto. I can't seem to find a clear answer and feel like if I adjust them a bit it could maybe help but I don't know, i could be wrong haha. Thanks for taking the time to read!

It's safe, sure. You need to control the voltage manually and lower it. You'll have to test and see how low and be stable. That said, temps are fine...keep them under 90c while stress testing.

Thanks for the response, i’ll Go ahead and lower it then and see what I can come up with !

It's safe, sure. You need to control the voltage manually and lower it. You'll have to test and see how low and be stable. That said, temps are fine...keep them under 90c while stress testing.

Ok so I did some experimenting, in short dropped V core to 1.215 BSOD, then went up to 1.250 on vcore and worked my way down to about 1.245 stable with Intel Burn Test on max (passed!) any lower and i will get unstable error on intel burn test. Temps dropped from 80C to 76C which im very happy and expecting to see, I guess now the question is, Should i start messing with Load line calibration, SA and IO voltages, turning off cpu power save features etc.. or is that stuff only necessary when pushing to 5ghz I just want my system to be stable and cool as possible and not see a BSOD or whea errors a month from now or is it possible if i can tune those settings correctly, I can bring Voltage and temps even Lower at a stable 4.7Ghz OC. I really appreciate the feedback and thankyou!

I leave load line calibration on AUTO my self. I find using less voltage leaving AUTO load line calibration.

Prime95 AVX disabled.
Overclocking 5.0GHz LLC AUTO, DVID +0.080 = 1.260v to 1.332v
Max temperature Noctua U14S 80c ambient 71F

Why disable AVX, isn’t that something that loads the cpu in a different way? I think I heard from somewhere that disabling it can allow your OC to be stable at lower voltages but I’m not sure is that why you disabled it?

Why disable AVX, isn’t that something that loads the cpu in a different way? I think I heard from somewhere that disabling it can allow your OC to be stable at lower voltages but I’m not sure is that why you disabled it?

I disabled AVX in prime95 to much heat. I use RealBench 2.56 with AVX less heat and power. AVX speeds up instructions to much in prime95 compared to RealBench AVX.

Ahhhh I see, do you have any tips or suggestions that could help me get 4.7 ghz stable i mainly just play cpu demanding games and just got a crash in game with an OC i thought was stable at 4.7 at 1.245 vcore those are the only two settings I touched really

Here's some info about stress testing with AVX. First, there are different strategies for stress testing and you personally have to decide which one you want to follow. The most rigorous testing philosophy says that your system is only stable when the most rigorous test you can find shows your system to be stable. That means you can run any single program doing anything there is in the world and your system will be stable. A less rigorous testing philosophy says that you are going to try to guess how the kinds of things you normally do with your system might load your system and only test to that. As long as your guess is right and you don't actually exceed that type of load, you'll be OK. But, pick up a new program that might load your system in a way you did not prepare for and it might get too hot or crash or BSOD if your guess is wrong.

AVX is a particular type of instruction in modern CPUs. One can do more with one CPU instruction than without them and they are specifically designed for certain uses. But, because they're doing more, they load the CPU more and create more heat. There are games that use AVX instructions and games that don't. There are graphics related programs that use AVX instructions and those that don't.

It is not uncommon for a system to be able to handle non-AVX instructions at a certain speed, but not be able to handle AVX instructions at that same speed, either due to the heat created by running an intense multi-core AVX load or just due to different overclocking limits for AVX-related instructions. For this reason, Intel and most motherboards added an AVX offset option. This allows you to find the maximum non-AVX speed you can safely run your system at and then separately find the maximum AVX speed you can safely run your system at. If your CPU works for non-AVX instructions at 5.0GHZ, but trying to run a heavy AVX load at 5.0GHZ either creates too much heat or crashes, then you can apply an AVX offset in the BIOS. For example, I have an AVX offset of -2 set in my BIOS for my i7-9700k. Non-AVX instructions will run at 5.0GHZ and AVX instructions will run at 4.8GHZ, keeping my processor about the same temperature and fully stable whether it's heavily loaded with non-AVX instructions or with AVX instructions.

If you are stress testing with a recent version of Prime95, it will automatically detect the presence of the AVX instruction set and it will use it. But, you can modify the config file local.txt (in the same directory as prime95.exe) by adding these two lines to it:

CpuSupportsAVX=0
CpuSupportsAVX2=0

And, then you can test without AVX instructions. To re-enable testing with AVX instructions, you can just put an x in front of each of these:

xCpuSupportsAVX=0
xCpuSupportsAVX2=0

I test my computer both with and without AVX. First I find the stable point without AVX. Then, I see how much AVX offset I need (if any) to keep the AVX test at an appropriate temperature.

Ahhhh I see, do you have any tips or suggestions that could help me get 4.7 ghz stable i mainly just play cpu demanding games and just got a crash in game with an OC i thought was stable at 4.7 at 1.245 vcore those are the only two settings I touched really

Your doing fine with those two settings. 4.6GHz is stock turbo so your only overclocking 100MHz over stock clock speed. You can go all the way up to 5.0GHz+ with those two settings. For a crash add more Vcore.

Last edited:
Ok I pushed my OC a little more up to about 4.8 stable from what I’ve been testing like WoW, benchmarks and stress test and my V core is at around 1.290. Gaming I see around 80c in WoW (which I think wow actually uses an AVX instruction set from what I gather online) what other settings do you think I should experiment with to achieve lower voltages/temps W/O disabling AVX or is this a voltage,frequency,temp range most 9600ks are capable of.Thanks for your time, the help means a lot to me! I actually tried to hit 5 ghz but my vcore was at a cringe worthy 1.42+!! (Update) ran some tests on P95 worker 2 kept failing so jumped voltage from 1.290 to 1.330 now my temps are hitting 85c in game

Back