• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 core + Thermalright Ultra-90

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CLeRiCNovA

Ok, so my question is if my Ultra-90 Thermalright HSF will work on a i5 2500k cpu. I know ill need a mount like the Venomous BTK bolt thru mount. I've read ppl using the Ultra-120 with success, nothing on the 90 tho. I use it on my current 4200 x2 ancient system so I'm not sure if the hsf will do the trick. Honestly, I don't see why not but I'm no expert. I do plan to OC it as hard as it'll go so I don't want to be super hindered by the HS. I cant imagine a stock cooler being better than the 90 but I've been out of the loop for a number of years. Will I still get good Ocing performance?

So anyone here have any experience that could help me out? Even educated opinions would do. LOL :) I'd love to save 50 bux on the HSF and put it towards a new cyborg mouse or a SSD drive.

Thanks for the time on my problem all who reads and responds.

I don't know how high it will allow you to overclock a 2500k, but I would hazard a guess of over 4.5 if you don't mind fans that make a little noise. IIRC, the old Ultra 90 wasn't too far behind the TRUE in cooling power. It will definitely be much, much better than the stock piece of crap they ship with the 2500k.

Back