• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i6-6600K dud overclock ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

Did some research before I got the i5-6600K, and afterwards, peoples views and results vary so much, to hard to tell.

I received today a i5-6600K to replace a G4560 in a Asus Z270 Prime motherboard.

I am using this cooler, which is a little crappy, but it is brand new http://www.gamerstorm.com/product/CPULIQUIDCOOLER/2016-04/1286_5085.shtml

Starting to think, maybe I wasted my money by this processor, when compared to the super cool and stable Pentium.

On auto the chip would boot windows at 4.7 GHz, but soon as stress test, was at 100c within about 10 seconds!

These things must be thermal overload monsters. Is some exotic cooling required for over 4.5 GHz ?

I have tried to get this thing stable at max loadline which end up ~1.32v at 4.5 GHz, but fell apart quickly. Down to 4.4 GHz, little less voltage, stress test failed.

Looks like might only be stable at 4.2 GHz at ~1.2v, which is shame, was hoping for more. Should it do more than this, or is 4.2 GHz realistic speed without people claiming all sorts of crazy numbers with their lottery chip?

i5-6600K overclock.JPG

I am using this cooler, which is a little crappy, but it is brand new http://www.gamerstorm.com/product/CP...286_5085.shtml

I think this is a lot of your problem, from the testing results I saw it hit 90° on a 4790K at 4.2 GHz using AIDA64 FPU test, I know it's not the same CPU and a 6600k should OC a bit better but it gives you the idea. A good Noctua air cooler was 10° cooler under the same test. One other thing is that all these CPUs from this rea use a paste based TIM under the IHS some are better than other at heat transfer bu many people would delid them and replace the Intel TIM with something better saving 10-15° on average by doing so.

Prime95 is the worst case load for this CPU. It was before they introduced AVX offset. People running higher clocks at low(ish) voltages were not running Prime95 while they were doing so! I even stick to 4.0 or less because I do run Prime95 like loads on my systems 24/7. Beyond that power efficiency takes a rapid dive.

If you're ok with not being Prime95 stable you can get much further at lower voltage.

This is what I achieved on my i5 6600k. Overclocking 4.5GHz Select adaptive +0.160 = 1.284v no delid and cooler master hyper 212.

Thanks for the posts, and sorry about the dumb typo in the thread name.

I been messing around a bit more, think some of you people might be right. Noticed if I stress with prime95 at 1.25v, that I end up with 80c or higher, and the moment I hit stop, the temps fall all the way down to 40c within 1 second.
That thermal paste under the lid must be really bad. The thermals go crazy an any higher voltages, and de-lidding maybe the only way, but that is a bit extreme for me, I would rather not for several reasons.

Looking like I have to settle for 4.2 GHz on all cores, which is a pretty bad overclock, although that said I think my voltage is reasonable?

Now I kind of know what some people have been going through to get their overclocks high on this thing, and probably why I read out there that some people claim they have a high overclock, but in reality possibly only were able to boot in for a bench mark, or run an application with will not stress the processor 100%.

I looked up the turbo limits on each core for the i5-6600K and figure what the heck, I see if it will take those, apply the same stepping limits, as a boost over 4.2 GHz without any change in voltage. Looks like that works!

STOCK-----------------> OVERCLOCKED
3900 MHz (1 core) ---> 4500 MHz
3800 MHz (2 cores) --> 4400 MHz
3700 MHz (3 cores) --> 4300 MHz
3600 MHz (4 cores) --> 4200 MHz

i5-6600K per cores.JPG

I have also upped the uncore (think it is) to 4.2 GHz to match all 4 core limit.

Can see each individual cores clocking up to 4.5 GHz most of the time.

Last edited:
Before you even consider delidding you need to get a better cooler. You haven't addressed that recommendation.

Micro,

Check my sig for my 6600K. I'm just loafing along @ 4.3 GHz and near stock voltage and stock cooling. It runs all day and night with AIDA 64 stress testing. I know AIDA 64 may not be the most vigorous test but I'm not a high end overclocker. I've been to 4.4 GHz on a little more voltage but the temps start to go higher than I like to see.

Last edited:
Wow stock cooler you say. Didn't think 6600K came with any cooler. I guess you got lucky.

I do have on hand a couple of Evo 212, but havent tried them. Far as I know the water cooler even though cheap should be on par with the evo.

Wouldn't be spending to much on this system, just trying to eck out what I can get out of it. Was build from spare parts, second hand processor. New parts are case, rgb fans, and cheap water cooler. Will upload a picture shortly, build done at this stage.

Good thing is when not running something crazy like prime95, seems to handle it nicely at the last post setting and voltage. FFXI benchmark sits between 45c to 55c, while running. Screen snip is the heaver load area of the benchmark.

I watched someone de-lid with a razor blade. Looks risky if slipped would slice hand open with ease. Is it possible to take the heat spreader off and run it direct on the CPU chip area like the good old Pentium III Coppermine, or would there not be enough height without the heat spreader between the heat sink, maybe to low in the socket?

FFXV_1060_temp.JPG

Last edited:
It's certainly possible to run those CPUs "naked" but can be very risky if pressure of heatsink is uneven or too much. I've killed a couple of expensive CPUs trying it. Others have had more success. There is little to nothing to be gained by going naked compared to delidding. Temps are barely improved according to my research. IMO therefore, not worth the risk. On the other hand, delidding is made easy and relatively safe these days by the delidding tools that are available, for under $20. They safely push the lid off.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cpu+deli...&sprefix=cpu+delid,aps,215&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9

I bought an OEM cooler from a standard 6600 from one of the guys on this forum. But you are correct, at the time the overclocked 6600K did not come with a cooler.

ok will look into de-lidding, not sure if worth the 300 MHz or about would get out of it. Now that I have the turbo working on top of a base overclock, might be little point.

Here is the finished build

i5-6600K with up to 4.5 GHz turbo (4 core base 4.2 GHz)
Micron DDR4-2400 value RAM 4x 4GB with overclock to 3200 MHz CAS 16
Asus Z270 Prime
GTX 1060 6GB primary
GTX 750 Ti 1GB for physx
Kingston 2x 120GB in RAID0
WD Black 2TB
Seasonic X 560w
Fractal case, RGB fans, water cooled

Fractal i5-6600K.jpg

Using the stock fan that came with the cooler, is meant to be a fluid bearing type. 120 mm PWM fan with red LED lighting.

The radiator against the case, meant that I had the water tubes at the top, which made a constant very annoying water splashing sound. Fan looked better on the inside.

I would have put the radiator against the case (as above), but it would fit with the tubes down with the fan up against the case, hence why fan it where it is.

The video card is a blower type, so almost zero hot air in the case. Only heat would be from the motherboard, HDD, and the 750 TI which isn't doing much at idle and even under load.

Using the stock fan that came with the cooler, is meant to be a fluid bearing type. 120 mm PWM fan with red LED lighting.

The radiator against the case, meant that I had the water tubes at the top, which made a constant very annoying water splashing sound. Fan looked better on the inside.

I would have put the radiator against the case (as above), but it would fit with the tubes down with the fan up against the case, hence why fan it where it is.

The video card is a blower type, so almost zero hot air in the case. Only heat would be from the motherboard, HDD, and the 750 TI which isn't doing much at idle and even under load.

By "push" fan wing means do you have the fan oriented such that it is pushing air through the radiator or pulling it through.

In the photo, fan is behind the rad, so is pulling. Very little actual heat inside case, CPU and GPU is going directly out rather than being dumped inside the case.

Video encoding with H.264 and H.265 is a very good stability test. Should be a crash if unstable. Or a shutdown if over the hard core temp limit.

Last edited:

Hey! I got the same problem dude , I had to call a professional IT/Computer Manager , which in luck was my close friend, Jacob. He fixed it for me and I will try my best to let you know the best possible solution to your problem after consulting and asking it form my friend! Until then GoodLuck as well as Take Care My friend!
Adios!:D:D:D

Back