• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-2700k + Noctua NH-D14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KTZeen

Registered
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and I am unsure of what information I am suppose to provide while asking for solutions to my problem.

Problem: I am currently running idle on stock speed at 25c avg across all cores using realtemp and hardware monitor to measure the core temperatures. Running test on prime95 I get up maximum 60c on load and avg around 57c on all cores except core 0 which I get 53c.
That is around an increase of 35c from idle to full load. Is this normal?

Should I try to reapply the paste and reposition the heatsink? Maybe I should test out the dot method and see the results?

Specs:
Antec 300 case (2 Scythe 1150 Gentle Typhoons for front intake fans)
(2 Stock case fans for back and top)

Asrock z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Mobo

i7-2700k cpu

Noctua NH-D14 Heatsink

MX3 Thermal Paste (Used Line method to apply paste)

Suggestions appriciated :)

KT

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, KTZeen. :welcome:

Those temps strike me as a little high for a NH-D14 with your 2700 running stock for load temps. You might try remounting the heatsink again, but when you pull it off check how the TIM spread looks. As for applying the TIM, I've always found that with a conventional base such as the D14 has, the pea sized dot in the middle works better for me. About a 5-5.5 mm sized dot should do good and if there is any excess it should squish out to the sides. Also, another thing I do when installing is after I get the screws just starting to tighten down, I wiggle the heatsink to the sides a few degrees to help spread the TIM material out before finishing the tightening down process.

Thanks muddocktor, I will try out your method, should I put the dot paste on the heatsink or ontop of the cpu cover and by wiggling do mean you twisting it a little bit counter and clockwise or actually tilting it side to side?

I will repost the results today after I have performed the procedures!

I put in on the IHS of the processor and not the base of the heatsink. And yes, you got it exactly right with the twisting part. But do that before you have tightened it down; just get the threads started good on the mounting screws, twist a little bit, then tighten down in the normal pattern.

Hi muddocktor, after successfully reapplying the paste using the dot method and repositioning my heatsink, I have achieved good results.
This image is the cpu at stock on full load with prime 95. Max temp on load was 44-49c. Core 1 the lowest and core 3 the highest.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/97/stocktemp.jpg/

This image is CPU at 4.4GHz at full load running for approximately 1 Hour. It kind of odd the temps for Core 0 is 6c lower than 1 and 2, Core 3 is in between the temps.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/oc44ghztemp.jpg/
Hopefully these pics work. I might be able to lower vcore a bit. Currently only tested at 1.3V

Any suggestions in why the middle cores are a bit hotter than the rest?

Thanks a bunch muddocktor

Last edited:
There are dozens of reasons that core temps are different from core to core. A lump in the TIM underneath the lid, a thin spot in the lid from manufacturing, higher electrical leakage in those particular cores causing greater heating...in short, nothing to really worry about. There's 4°C difference between my 2 cores on my C2D.
I just use the hotter core as my high temp though to judge when something needs fixing, as that's the core that would get heat damaged first.

Good job on the temp drop, and the OC too!

That's pretty normal with these SB procs in my experience for the temps to vary a bit more than the earlier generation chips did, so don't sweat it. I'm glad to hear you got a much better mount this time too.:)

I downloaded the new realtemp that supports sandy bridge. Realtemp 3.67
My temps are now 60 64 64 62 for 4.4Ghz speed at 1.288v
Are these temperatures decent?

I am considering adding a 3rd fan on the heatsink and was wondering what would be the best config. 120mm 140mm 120mm? should i stick with the noctua 120mm for the 3rd fan or try out a different brand?

Stick to a noctua probably unless you are gonna replace all 3 fans at once, I find the double 120x and single 140 method works great for the nhd14. Otherwise the airspeed drops alot after coming off the second bank of heat pipes while running 120 - bank 1 - 140 - bank 2.

whats your air temp btw cause those temperatures still seem rather high for a 2700k. Currently running a similar setup with a 2700k, 18-20c ambient temp 36-42c idle 66-70c full load, @ 5ghz 1.41vcore. Star method of thermal paste, using Artic Silver Ceramique 2, which has been fully broken in for an additional 3c drop in temp.

My air temp is currently 23.1c and with the 3 fan setup, is it 120mm (front) 140mm(middle) 120mm(back)? my idle temp is 33-35c.

Those temps are absolutely fine man. Loading up with P95 or IBT or other super heat producing program is pretty much a worst case scenario. And mid 60's temps are nothing for an Intel system for 24/7 usage.

Those temps are absolutely fine man. Loading up with P95 or IBT or other super heat producing program is pretty much a worst case scenario. And mid 60's temps are nothing for an Intel system for 24/7 usage.

Yeah i am not saying they are bad, i agree with you there, it just seems to be high for the voltage and temperatures.

Thanks a lot for ur help mud. Time to test 4.6 and 4.8GHz. I shouldn't go for more than 73C on load right?

correct, 120 pushing, 140pulling/pushing, and 120 pulling.

View attachment 102417

after 5 minutes with 8 core Lynx load (pretty much as hot as you can get it)
View attachment 102418

Wow those r some sweet temps for 5ghz. I requested an extra bracket from noctua. I will use that setup once I get it. Thanks for ur pic. Maybe I have my case closed so I can't achieve those great temps.

Thermal protection temp for these chips is 80c if i am correct. I am intentionally running my core hotter than normal, but it is 100% stable at these temperatures with 1month+ plus uptimes, and Lynx running constnatly when i am not using the machine.

Don't bother with a third fan. I can point you at numbers, but I have tested many fan combinations on the D14. A third fan gets you up to one degree centigrade better cooling. That's not much for the expense and extra nois of a third fan.

The only reason to put a pull fan on any heatsink is when you are using the heatsink to exhaust your case. That calls for removing your rear grill and not using an exhaust fan. In those circumstances a pull fan entrains case air to exhaust your case. But that's why you would put a pull fan there -- not for the extra cooling.

Don't bother with a third fan. I can point you at numbers, but I have tested many fan combinations on the D14. A third fan gets you up to one degree centigrade better cooling. That's not much for the expense and extra nois of a third fan.

The only reason to put a pull fan on any heatsink is when you are using the heatsink to exhaust your case. That calls for removing your rear grill and not using an exhaust fan. In those circumstances a pull fan entrains case air to exhaust your case. But that's why you would put a pull fan there -- not for the extra cooling.

That does make sense. I have the case exhaust fan 2 inches away from the heatsink, so a third fan prob wont make much of a difference.

Just wondering is there such a thing as tightening the heatsink down too hard to the cpu? Whenever take out my heatsink to clean the old paste, i see the sqaure outline of the cpu. Just the outer edge of the cpu. I am wondering if I am tightening it down too hard and the spacing for the cores in the middle isn't getting a good connection with the heatsink.

Just wondering is there such a thing as tightening the heatsink down too hard to the cpu? Whenever take out my heatsink to clean the old paste, i see the sqaure outline of the cpu. Just the outer edge of the cpu. I am wondering if I am tightening it down too hard and the spacing for the cores in the middle isn't getting a good connection with the heatsink.

Without seeing your cpu and heatsink, it's hard to say for sure. You could take a razor blade or a straight ruler and check the contact surfaces of your heatsink and your cpu for concavity/convexity.

Back