• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 3820 overloading/overheating when playing Dishonored PC game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Registered
I have this issue now, i set up a desktop with a Lian Li case some time ago. I wasn't too concerned with overclocking or overheating, and anyway i was mostly interested in fitting everything in the case, which i do carry around with me all this time. Even in games, maxed options everything and no problems, except for Far Cry 3, where i have cpu temperatures of about 75-77, but i don't worry too much about it. I have set the sound alert to 80 degrees celcius in Real Temp and i go ahead and play everything.

But now in Dishonored, i max everything in options and i see temperatures rise to 80-86 degrees! But only in the CPU. The GTX 670 stays at 50% load. I see that with everything maxed, the CPU total while i play the game is 82.5%. The thing is when i set up the case i went with the Intel LGA 2011 basic cooler and not with a water system because it wouldn't fit and would make me change my planning for how to fit things in the small factor case.

So, i wonder what is the problem here exactly? I turn off vsync in the game which gives me constant 130 fps. Full FOV, MLAA anti aliasins, and everything else highest/on. Still the gpu stays at half load and everything falls on the cpu. Is this normal? Or is there a problem in the way the systems executes the game.

So, i am not in a position to start thinking about a water cooling system right now. What should i do. It is summer and temperature is about 29-30 degrees in the room, which i can change mostly to 26-27 degrees if i turn on the AC, but that is not making things much better. So, i hear that these cpus can reach up to 100 degrees then shut themselves down, still no permanent damage to them. I thought 80 degrees for both cpu and gpu where good limits to set the alerts on. So, i don't want to play the game in non-full settings, i kind of like the game. Should i play it with these high temps, 83-86 degrees for all 4 cores, for about an hour every day, for maybe 2-3 weeks till i finish it?
Or am i looking for trouble if i do that (damage the cpu)? What would you do?

my guess is that the physx is completely offloaded to the CPU
Check your nvidia control panel to verify, set the physx part to GPU, not CPU

my guess is that the physx is completely offloaded to the CPU
Check your nvidia control panel to verify, set the physx part to GPU, not CPU

This setting was in "processor: auto-select(recommended)"

I ll set it at GTX 670 and start the game to see what happens.

Well after i set the physx processor to GTX670 instead of auto, it did seem there was a change, the gpu showed temperatures of up to 70 instead of about 55 and full utilization, and i thought i found the solution. CPU load was at most at about 70% instead of about 85% that was before. Still though, in a very short time, cpu temperatures reached 80-83 again... forcing me to close the game again..

What CPU cooler are you using?

Like i said, i just installed the simple Intel LGA 2011 fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happens if you force all fans to full speed?

Yes i tried that, i disabled CPU fan control (meaning, it runs 100% constantly) but still 80+ temperatures... once it goes there it just can't get down while i am playing the game..

Tell me something, would you accept running your OWN cpu for maybe an hour/day or so at these temperatures (80-86C), for a few weeks, to finish a game you like, or would you not try that? What would you do?

What does CPU-Z show as the Vcore when the core temp's are at ~80C, and is the CPU overclocked?

No no, no overclocking of course, my system wouldn't handle that, just the Intel Turbo mode that reaches 3.8, the Vcore i didn't check when temps are at 80, why, does it matter?

Why would you Disable the CPU FAN CONTROL??? If it was me i would try to set that to TURBO at least to help cool the CPU!!:-/

Sounds like the Intel CPU FAN is not up to the job of cooling or maintains the Temps on the CPU! Did you seat the cooler properly and made sure you removed the plastic protector before you seated the cooler and fan.:shrug:

Would like to see how you have your settings set up in the Bios, to see if we could change or alter something to help you there.:attn:

AJ.

Yes it matters.

Ok, where should it be to be safe?

Why would you Disable the CPU FAN CONTROL??? If it was me i would try to set that to TURBO at least to help cool the CPU!!:-/

Sounds like the Intel CPU FAN is not up to the job of cooling or maintains the Temps on the CPU! Did you seat the cooler properly and made sure you removed the plastic protector before you seated the cooler and fan.:shrug:

Would like to see how you have your settings set up in the Bios, to see if we could change or alter something to help you there.:attn:

AJ.

You didn't read me carefully above, the setting i do have to turbo, the ASUS Fan Xpert also has the "Disable" option which does not mean "disable the fan", of course, it means "disable control of the fan", which runs constantly at 100%. It is not making a difference, the Turbo modes gets the fan at 100% from 60C upwards.

I don't think it has to do with BIOS settings, it must be something about the game not utilizing resources correctly, yet it runs so smoothly, no issues whatever. Just think about this: it is normal for a game to be using 65-85% load of a 3820? Is that normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK thanks for the reply and clarifying things for me here, but as for the Bios settings as redduc kindly said, it does matter! Why because on some Motherboards the normal Auto settings can set too much Vcore, causing the CPU to get to hot!

Plus there is a lot of other settings which given the chance we could check out for you to see if things are running properly.:attn:

But that is up to you if only you wish to be helped!!:shrug:

AJ.

well, at least we've managed to lessen the CPU load a bit initially, and have the 670 do some work for its money... and a 670 can run for days on end a 80°C , so.

Now we need to find a way to get the temps down on the CPU.

I think we'll end up with advising to get an aftermarket cooler. :)

Ok, so here is a screenshot with some information, maybe someone can comment on anything unusual they see, that is, not attributable to the fact i just have a very basic cpu cooler.

I started the game with Vsync ON, that is 60 fps.
Everything else was on highest, FOV full (110), antialiasing MLAA.

As we can see, about 15 minutes or so till the cpu temperatures reached 80+ and the alarm sounded to inform me.
However, i see now that the GPU temp went just to 57 degrees, while when i turned vsync OFF, it reached about 70 degrees.

So everything is here summing up the information from that 15 minutes, voltages, loads, temperatures, etc.

I m all ears.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 419
I don't see the Vcore as shown by CPU-Z while at ~80C core temp's like I asked.

It shows the maximum Vcore, which was when temps where at 80C if i m not mistaken, isn't it the same?

Last edited:
Looks like a AUTO OC using the Asus suite redduc, instead of a manual one tuned and set up properly!! :(

There is listed Vcore on the HWM! Min = 1.024v Value = 1.152v Max = 1.304v

But for a NO NO Overclock i wonder redduc what do you think my good friend??? :shrug:

AJ.

Looks like a AUTO OC using the Asus suite redduc, instead of a manual one tuned and set up properly!! :(

There is listed Vcore on the HWM! Min = 1.024v Value = 1.152v Max = 1.304v

But for a NO NO Overclock i wonder redduc what do you think my good friend??? :shrug:

AJ.

I ve never played with voltages actually, i don't know how to do that. I can get to 4.3 automatically through the BIOS, but then the temperatures would sky rocket, i have tried it.
So i just use the XMP profile for the memory and the turbo mode for the cpu, which i don't think it is the reason for these temps problems i am having with THIS particular game, is it?

Maybe i should try updating the PhysX software in my pc? Where can i see the current version i have?

Back