• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-4770 Cooling options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you aren't overclocking which a 4770 non-k can't really do anyway you may as well use the stock cooler.

Pretty much the only reason for replacing the cooler when not OCing is to reduce noise.

Using the H60 would be a terrible idea as its much louder than the stock cooler. You could choose a very quiet after market cooler though, there are plenty out there which are close to no noise at all.

I'm sorry but I have to suggest to refrain from using the stock cooler at all cost.

I do have a 4770k and am running the stock cooler while my H100i is in for a manufacture replacement. I noticed with my haswell at stock speeds I am hitting the high 80 - low 90C.

I must make note that not all haswell's will run this hot, this is purely from personal experience with my 4770k.

High 80s to low 90s on the stock cooler at max load on stock clock speeds is to be expected and perfectly okay.

If that's not at max load, then it's a problem.

High 80s to low 90s on the stock cooler at max load on stock clock speeds is to be expected and perfectly okay.

If that's not at max load, then it's a problem.

Really?! I thought that was hitting extremely hot. Once I hit 95-97C-ish it likes to start throttling. I usually hit my max temperatures from a Prime95 test.

Really?! I thought that was hitting extremely hot. Once I hit 95-97C-ish it likes to start throttling. I usually hit my max temperatures from a Prime95 test.

prime95 also creates far more heat than anything the OP will be doing to the computer (general work usage and games).

Ok I ended up getting the i7-4770k. I'm going to attempt to OC it also. Will a H60 work in this situation now? I dont plan to do anything crazy... maybe 4.4ghz~ give or take a little. Aren't mostly all liquid coolers with a 120MM radiator the same?

H60 is weak for the money... and that CPU needs all the help it can get. Swiftech H220 is about the only AIO solution I would purchase these days.

EDIT: What motherboard did you buy?

Agree with EarthDog. Swiftech H220 is only decent AIO/CLC I know of. And even it is not better cooling than top air is.

Nice review! Thanks. I just wish review used air temp going into cooler and not room temp. :( It's not uncommon for cooler intake air temp to be different from room temp.

I have a asus z87 sabertooth

Is this good and easy for overclocking?
Also on the top of the board there's a cpu-fan and a "cpu-opt" pins also. So I plug the water cooler into the "opt" plug... right

On an open air test bench they should be the same or very close.
The issue is that what they should be and what they are is not always the same. And when we are comparing many coolers with a degree or less difference on some of them we should not assume the room temp is what the cooler intake air temp actually is.

I used to assume that on an open bench the intake air temp was the same as the room ambient. But I found out it was not true. Using a cheap indoor/outdoor digital thermometer I found that the bench area of room would sometimes be a few degrees warmer during a long test than the room. Downflow coolers are the worst at having warmer cooler intake air temp than other but it can happen with any test.

Back