• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4790K & MSI Z97 MB Temperatures way too high idle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InfiniteRetro

hey guys. so I just got a new cpu and motherboard, i7 4790K and the MSI Z97 Gaming 3. Installed everything ok and I have an aftermarket cooler all plugged in with fresh thermal applied. heres the issue.

1) idle the motherboard temp seems to be around the 35 degrees Celsius mark
2) the cpu idle temp is around the 45 to 50 degrees Celsius mark
3) I've noticed that when I start playing a game the GPU is now getting insanely hot. (980ti, was working fine 2 days ago)

i'll post some screenies but im at a loss. im not trying to overclock and I don't want to tinker with a single thing just in case. ive got a whole heap of fans which, again, on my previous build, i7 3770 with a P8Z77-v LX board never had over heating issues.

I also haven't updated the bios to the latest either so everything is simply connected up and going. thanks guys:)

EI.jpg hwmonitor.jpg

Your CPU temps look alright to me, 52 is pretty cool.
About your GPU, Try resealing the heatsink it might not be seated well.
I would suggest checking if all heatsinks are seated properly.

Idle temps are usually incorrect do to the sensor not being able to read it accurately. We generally ignore idle temps for this reason and focus on load temps. What do your load temps look like?

Your GPU is getting hot? What temps are you seeing? Can you post screen shots?

What cooler? Did you try reseating it again and reapplying thermal paste?
What are LOAD temps? Is that the 52C we see? How did you get to those max temperatures?

max temp on that thing we reccomend is 90C while stress testing, so 52C is a long way from that, but then again, we don't know what load temps actually are. ;)

(note: AMD idle temps are more off than Intel... I'd buy these readings...).

Back