• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-4790k temperature when water cooled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pibben

First time poster here.

I just built my first water cooled setup. It's based around the new i7-4790k. I'm using EKWB Supremacy waterblock in CPU and EKWB on GPU also. D5 pump on highest speed.

My worry is that I'm getting about 80 degrees (C) temperature on the cores when running prime95. The water temperature is about 32 degrees. Is this normal or do I have bad contact between CPU and waterblock?

Rad: 360
Pump: EKWB D5 (hightest speed)
Fans: Noiseblocker Eloop B12-3 push/pull.
Waterblock: EKWB Supremacy

With fans on low speed I get water temperature 32, core temp 80.
With fans on hight speed I get water temperature 25, core temp 72.
Is water-cpu temp diff of 48 normal for this CPU/waterblock?

the diff water/displayed is quite normal.
did you follow the insrtructions in the reveiw i linked?

which 360 radiator? what case?

you could always re-seat the waterblock for giggles. how are the temps across all cores; even or huge differences? that is usually a good sign too.

Welcome to OCFs.

Seems to me that it looks like a contact issue. Shouldn't be getting that kind of temps with the water cooling gear you have.

The water temp seems fine.

What is your ambient temp and how is your air flow in the case? (Positive or negative pressure)

Give us a list of all your components and water cooling gear.

Enough TIM? shake the computer a bit to get some of the air bubbles out, this happened to me with an EK GPU block. don't shake it furiously, just gently to move it around

did you follow the insrtructions in the reveiw i linked?

What was those instructions?

What is your ambient temp and how is your air flow in the case? (Positive or negative pressure)

The ambient is about 20 degrees. During this test the case was open.

MB: Asrock Z87M Extreme 4
Gfx: Zotac Geforce 770
Case: H440
Rad: Alphacool Nexxos UT60 360
Fans: NB Eloop B12-3
CPU block: EK Supremacy
GPU block: EK FC680 GTX+
Pump: EK D5

how are the temps across all cores; even or huge differences?

I tested again today and there are pretty big differences. Right now under load i have:

Core 0: 74
Core 1: 72
Core 2: 72
Core 3: 65 (!)

What can be the cause of this? How are the core layed out on a 4 core haswell?

When there's a 5+ degree difference, even close to 10c, between the cores, that's a sign of bad contact or bubbles strapped.

When there's a 5+ degree difference, even close to 10c, between the cores, that's a sign of bad contact or bubbles strapped.

GTXJack it's actually quite normal for the Haswell chips to have a 10c difference across the cores.

To the OP what are your ambient temperatures?

It could be, or it can also be normal. I have seen several degrees difference between cores even with a proper mount and TIM application. Definitely try a remount/re-TIM, but if that doesn't do it, it is what it is.

Welcome to OCFs.

Seems to me that it looks like a contact issue. Shouldn't be getting that kind of temps with the water cooling gear you have.

The water temp seems fine.

First off, i am willing to bet you are right about the contact, but that said, i dont think its between Block and IHS, i think Intel screwed up the paste between CPU and IHS once more, this is the 5th or 6th topic in 2 or 3 days i have seen across 3 different forums with heat issues running 4790K.

If he is only running 360 rad for the CPU, that setup is fine, the D5 doesnt need more then half speed on such a small loop.

My loop on my 4770K the water temp will be in the mid 30's when running prime95, the CPU will max out around 70degrees running 4,5Ghz @ 1.34v.
Before i did my delid and lapping, 4,4 was the max stable speed i could get.
4,4ghz @ 1,28v would result in about mid to high 80s while running Prime95.

Now that, says just about enough. I saw over 20degrees temp on one of the cores after the de-lid. Just keep it in mind.

Back