• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 6700k OC attempt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demm

Registered
I7 6700k OC attempt

currently 4.8 stable with corsair h100i gtx 240 rad

going to put a 420 45m rad with a d5 pump 140m reservoir ek waterblock and using the 19/13m g1/4 fittings hoping to achieve over 5ghz

any previous attempts or experience would be grateful

also would like to know if you think this will be a waste of time? i mean do i need a sub zero build to reach over 5ghz?

thank you all in advance.

Hey Demm! Thanks for posting in public. :)

What are your temperatures and voltages currently at? For that chip, we say to keep voltage under 1.42V for daily driving, and temps at 90C or less.

Voltage is good... very good for that clockspeed in fact. :)

YOu def. need a better cooler though!

Rad EK-CoolStream CE 420
Fans push pull config, 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWM 3000RPM
Pump Res EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Water cooling pump, Glass
then just tubing and the g1/4 19/13mm fittings.

edit
will be using distilled water
also case is an enthoo primo so room on the top for the rad

That will take care of the CPU and a GPU, LOL! YOu can easily use a 3x120mm radiator.

But, you are surely not voltage limited in your quest for 5Ghz 24/7. Keep us posted!

I have slight issue with overkill but my budget keeps it mostly in check :)

i believe i can fit a 480 up there but i hear the 140 fans are as good if not better than the old ap14-15
so i think going the 140 road is going to give better cooling.

140mm fans... there tend to be not as much of a selection, but there are solid ones out there. Your choice... there is a point of diminishing returns...

Skylake past 4.8 or so requires significant voltage increases as a rule. Good luck on your quest for 5.0GHz but don't expect it.

IMAG0118.jpg

Since this build is not yet finished i have not placed the leds in there proper position yet.

These are the parts i am waiting on arriving for the upgrade

Reservoir EK-RES X3 250 Reservoir
Pump EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5, PWM Serial, 2x 23W, Flow 1500L/h, Incl. 2x pump, Black
Radiator EK-CoolStream CE 420 (Triple) Radiator, Copper Fins, 90% Copper Tubing, Brass Chambers
Cpu Block EK-Supremacy EVO - Acetal+Nickel
Tube 3m EK TUBE PrimoChill PrimoFlex™ Advanced LRT™ 19,1 / 12,7 mm - Pearl UV Orange
Fans 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 3000RPM High Performance Fan x6 in a push pull config.

Forcing air out of case through the top mounted radiator I should have enough fans in front and bottom to keep a cool internal air temp to not effect the radiator temp.

Brass and Nickel are ok to use with each other without corrosion. also Gold and Copper can be mixed with these. Do Not mix Aluminium with these metals in your build.

This pic is what i hope to achieve :) or maybe higher since this was achieved with air.

intel_corei7-6700k_overclocked.png

Good luck with that... as opty said, that voltage will start to climb at some point soon. 5ghz isn't remotely typical for a 24/7 clockspeed. You indeed have to have a much better than average chip to do so. I wish you luck and we will help you get there if possible.

That is messed up :) i cant even get into that here lol

I should have pics up by the weekend of build and screens :) if it doesnt do what I find a happy place lol I always have other choices maybe 2021 will have 10Thz cpu :)

Waterblock.jpg Watersys unboxed.jpg Watersystem.jpg

Just waiting on the tubing :) this should hopefully be future proof with a change of the waterblock being all that would be required.

Back