• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 @ 4.43ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He might be sitting in a walk in freezer...:)

hahah.. Not trying to mock anyone but I did this in New York one snowy morning. Here comes the story:

It was prob 2006 or 2007 when Conroe just came out. I was using a phase change cooler that was kind of substandard at the time and I was going back and forth battling a member on OCF called Epox4life (we each had a similar phase setup at the time) over Super Pi 1m/8m/32m times on an Intel E6600 C2D processor. He eventually decided to go Dry Ice one day and take a cheap shot on our little competition, so I had to try and compensate for -60*C advantage in temps. Short Story = Impossible.

I brought my entire rig outside in the backyard on my 8" thick snow ridden deck in 15*F temps, got a coffee table for the rig, kitchen chair in the snow, plugged everything in, and put my snow pants, boots, and jacket on to try and put out some higher SuperPi1m screen shots to beat his dry ice. I knew I prob couldnt do it, but I was so determined to do it, I tried anyway. So, I plug the rig in, boots up like -*44C at the CPU, when I am used to around -30*C boot measured at the CPU so I am all happy and I begin clocking. I manage to run 1 superpi1m at a standard phase change OC of around 4.4 GHz (which was considered INCREDIBLE 3/4 years ago) and it froze as I tried to improve clocks with my improved temps. Well, as soon as it froze for the first time I had to literally restart. Well, the split second that it restart, for whatever reason being outside created condensation within the socket and the mobo. Destroyed the chip and the board (which was a P5B-Deluxe at the time which had all sorts of vmods on it that took forever to accomplish) in an fuggin instant. LOL If anyone remembers my board, it had about 3 inches of dialetric grease on it also, inside and all around the socket so indoors I never EVER had condensation AT ALL. Instead of flipping out and going crazy, I simply left everything outside, took my PSU, GPU, HDD, Monitor, and RAM inside the house, started cracking up. And jumped in the shower. LMAO

Sorry for the long story, but it just came out vividly for some reason and I thought to share it with you guys. Those were the days.

lol that's awesome dom. Last winter I took my new rig out to my garage and was playing around with the overclocks :)

Back