• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 980X + 5970 = ?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Awesome results :)

Out of curiousity, did you run a 3DMark05 "stock" with the 980/5970 system unmodified/overclocked at all, to set a baseline?

Why would I do that :confused: :p

Here's some updates guys:

3D0506.jpg

3D0604.jpg

So... did you reach a bottleneck between the GPU and the CPU?

3D03 - GPU bound
3D05 - CPU bound
6D06 - mostly CPU bound
3D Vantage - mostly GPU bound

Last edited:
This thread is the reason I joined this site....Incredible...

Threads like this are what keep me going =)
I cant afford this nice gear just his MB CPU and GFX card are more than i make in a month . So the only time I get to play with this stuff is in my dreams as Im sleeping . =)

For the first time I tried a trial webcast of my session last night. It was a lot of fun to bench with an audience. The last hour of the session was recorded and you can view it here:
http://www.livestream.com/miahallen

I'm talking to the viewers who were typing me messeges chat style. So, no I'm not talking to myself :D

This portion of the video is pretty boring...but there is a special treat when I attempt for max frequency at around the 21 minute mark ;)

BTW - A huge shout out to rdrash...a good friend of mine for quite a few years...he donated this HD 5970 to me!
Couldn't have done it without your generosity bro! Thanks :cool:

so, how about some xfire results?

:drool:

Oh, and fantastic scores, unbelievable.

Newegg has retail boxed i7 980x in stock again; this time it also includes Resident Evil 5 at no extra charge (and you don't have to buy a mobo with the CPU). These will sell out quick again, so snag one if you're looking for one. I got mines!!

Just curious Miah - how'd the oc results go for air cooling? I see some initial results, but did you do any additional testing/tweaking? Why stay so low on the blck? I figured folks would find a compromise between multi and blck..

I'd personally like to run 21 x200blck at a minimum, but am hoping for 23x200 and will settle for 22x200, all with the requirement that I keep the core voltage at or below 1.4v. Anywho somewhere between 4.3 and 4.6 is my goal. Now if I could run 25x200blck...ohhhh mannnnn!!! Not counting on that though :D

This won't be a benchmark setting, but will instead be my 24/7 settings, just like what I currently use for my 920. I'm stoked!! :burn:

Last edited:
Matt...I'm currently working on a couple things on air for a local contest here in Japan.
PiFast (but not comparible to regular PiFast, it's a custome build)
3DMark06 ( just the CPU test score)

I'll post up results in a little bit :)

Back