• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 batch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtkxhom3r

hey my friends i7 just got here and i wanted to know if the 3841a781 is a good batch for a 920? what can i expect out of it on water with a giga extreme board and some dominator ram

and should i use the nb stock waterblock? or is it just for looks

Last edited:
My batch number is 3839A626 and I get the clocks in my sig with turbo on and htt off. Yours should do the same or better because of yours being on water.

As for the nb loop, I would run it through the wc setup before adding all your hardware just to make sure it isn't leaky. I am just paranoid and would do itlike that because sometimes the factory installed blocks leak . Although some don't, that's just my craziness.

man im tryin to oc this thing but i dont really know what im doing haha all these different options and voltages... its nothing lie 775... for some reason i cant get passed 3.0 and this board takes for EVER to post

Okay, here is my voltages from my oc.

vCore (cpu voltage) is at 1.45v in bios and shows 1.41v in cpu-z.
QPI/VTT voltage is at 1.35v
ram voltage is at 1.66v
IOH 1.20v
HTT off
Turbo on
LLC (load line calibration) on
All intel temp throttling safety measures are off

Hope it helps you get to somewhere close. Every oc is different, these might work, or might not. Good luck.

well i would love to try those settings but! its still using the stock heatsink i forgot to order the bracket for the gtz lol...but i just ordered today and it should be here by saturday

Well if you have water i'm sure you'll hit 21x211 with pretty comfy temps. Got your batch and they clock quite well although they are hot.
Just start with a 12 multi and up your blck, if you can't boot then add more voltage to the qpi, find the highest blck your processor can reach, then raise your multi and vcore when looking for a max stable clock. Your 24/7 should be 3-5 blcks below your max blck and a multi like 20 or 19. But i'm sure you'll be happy with the results post back if u have any questions.
You shouldn't mess with the PLL or IOH voltages a lot, may be 2 or 3 notches at most.

so the qpi voltage is like the nb voltage? and which ones the voltage i need to raise accordingly to the ram voltage?

well iv tried everything and i cant get this thing over 150...sometimes not even 150 i thin there is something wrong with this mobo iv tried gskill ram and still have the same problem i dont now what else to do

@henzo, hi again. Say, I just noticed for the first time that you and a few others have htt (hyperthreading?) off. What is the advantage of switching that off. Also, in the "PC Health section of my bios, the IOH temps are significantly higher (@ 86 to 90 C) than system (39 C) and and cpu (45 C). Is the IOH the power regulation chips on the MOBO and would the higher temps be a consequence of having all six ram slots filled? DRAM voltage is 1.6v.

Well for overclocking it allows a higher overclock, and if you don't need more than 4 threads in applications then HT will just slow you down :p
Video transcoding is much quicker with HT on though.

Maybe a hole in the base clock, try 160-170Mhz that seems to be the most stable for my 965, but is on a much higher multiplier.

So true, didn't even think to warn about that. Mine had one at 175 and I flipped out and then said scr3w it and smashed through to 185 and all was good. Onward and upward.

well my board doesnt do anything above 150 lol but anyways now to even MORE bad news... yesterday i ordered a i7 backplate next day air... and as i was installing it right now one of the holes has striped threads...the screw wont hold on its like if it didnt even have threads

so i called petras and they sent me to swiftech and now swiftech doesnt want to send it to me next day when its not my fault their **** was defective i dont think its fair that they dont want to send it next day when i paid for next day for a defective back plate

That sucks! I thought it was rough waiting ALL day for my heatkiller. My heatkiller was put on the UPS truck at 4am and I didn't get it until 6pm.

lmao man this is going to be like the most depressing weekend haha and btw how good are those heat killers? do they perform better than the gtz?

Can't make a direct comparison in any sense of the phrase. I had a Fuzion v2 on a little old E5200 and then I switched over to a heatkiller (copper version) on an i7 920. There is literally no way you can compare those two setups. The reviews I have read do say that there is a 1-3 degree difference between those blocks in favor of the heatkiller.

some times the cpu wont boot from 150-160, mine wont but will run up to 21x215 with setting the same.

Back