• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 Benching System?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blitzmann

Registered
Okay I've ordered an i7 2600k and an Asus Maximus IV Extreme, and was planning to do LN2 on this setup, but it looks like my current Phenom II setup is going to end up being my younger brothers so I'm planning on using the i7 system for my new gaming computer.

So question is...what should I purchase so that I can actually earn some Boints when I hit it with the DICE/LN2?

Thanks!

I think you are off to a good start, I think all you will need is a handful of old video cards to get some nice hardware boints for 3d, and hopefully (fingers crossed) you got a nice 2600k to get some good 2d benches. I think all you need now is just some nice RAM which I'm sure some of the guys here have some recommendations, I've heard/read around here that Hypers are supposed to be nice, but that they depend on motherboard/etc (I guess, haven't experienced it).

Any older 8800 series nvidia video card or 4000 series ATI card with a good 5.2 and above Ghz 2600k will rack you in over a 50 points per card at least

Let's also not forget that you won't need LN2 on a 2600K for sure, and may not need DICE, depending on what kind of chip you get. If your max multiplier is 54x or lower, you could probably make due with strong air cooling. If above that, DICE or SS may be good.

Just don't get it too cold or you'll have more trouble clocking the chip than you would on air. These chips don't necessarily get along with cold really well.

Heh, if you really want to freeze something, freeze that Phenom II before giving it to your brother. Phenom II's LOVE cold, and scale very well with it all the way down to liquid helium.

Like was said earlier in this thread unless your multipliers alot higher you probably wont need ln2 at all for the processor. At 5400+ depending on the voltages you might need a DICE + acetone mixture. Instead of little warmer DICE + Isoprophyl mixture. Otherwise a SS Phase Change system will pretty much have you set.

Bobnova and I where running DICE on my 2600k + Maximus IV extreme lastnight. Instead of my normal SS system. Until we switched to the DICE + Acetone setup the temperatures did not drop below that of my SS setup. (which is around -10c to -6c at the core approximately, external sensed temperature of -44c to -48c). Acetone mixture did help maintain the temperatures alot more consistantly than my SS.

We where running at 5.5ghz at 1.47v vcore, 1.2v cpu_io, 1.05v cpu_sa. Voltage wise thats really not that high. We didn't do any 5600+ runs, due to time.

If you can get a SS phase change system, thats capable of around 300watts of heat transfer you will proably be fine (and better off than i am, since mines only capable of 120-170watts maxx).

Not exactly what you asked for but figured it might give you an idea of what your looking at for the i7 setup.

As for quick boints on ln2. Like hokiealumnus said, Phenom II's scale like crazy with cold. My 140watt 940 deneb got a 500mhz jump out of going from air to the SS, and its still asking for more cold. Just going that cold with one should yeild a good amount of points. I got around 15-20ish just doing superPi runs at 4525mhz.

Like was said earlier in this thread unless your multipliers alot higher you probably wont need ln2 at all for the processor. At 5400+ depending on the voltages you might need a DICE + acetone mixture. Instead of little warmer DICE + Isoprophyl mixture. Otherwise a SS Phase Change system will pretty much have you set.

Bobnova and I where running DICE on my 2600k + Maximus IV extreme lastnight. Instead of my normal SS system. Until we switched to the DICE + Acetone setup the temperatures did not drop below that of my SS setup. (which is around -10c to -6c at the core approximately, external sensed temperature of -44c to -48c). Acetone mixture did help maintain the temperatures alot more consistantly than my SS.

We where running at 5.5ghz at 1.47v vcore, 1.2v cpu_io, 1.05v cpu_sa. Voltage wise thats really not that high. We didn't do any 5600+ runs, due to time.

If you can get a SS phase change system, thats capable of around 300watts of heat transfer you will proably be fine (and better off than i am, since mines only capable of 120-170watts maxx).

Not exactly what you asked for but figured it might give you an idea of what your looking at for the i7 setup.

As for quick boints on ln2. Like hokiealumnus said, Phenom II's scale like crazy with cold. My 140watt 940 deneb got a 500mhz jump out of going from air to the SS, and its still asking for more cold. Just going that cold with one should yeild a good amount of points. I got around 15-20ish just doing superPi runs at 4525mhz.

Sweet, do you know of anyone that sells SS systems capable of 300watts? I had looked into it awhile back but didnt see anything that really seemed legit or quality. I'm going to try and DICE the 1100T later this week or maybe tonight if I can get everything setup.

Last edited:
I don't off the top of my head, Most of the hardcore people i think are getting them made, i scored mine at a massive discount cause its no longer manufactured, But mine has some massive downsides. The build quality is crap, and the wattage of the system is extremely low for any serious overclocking on quadcore chips, It doesn't play very nicely with 145watt chips due to this.

However this could be fixxed by a larger radiator, and a different gas in this system probably. I just haven't gotten around to getting it done yet.

SS = Single Stage. Most of the time you can find them in various forums' classified sections. If you want new, some of the strongest systems come from sdumper. His web site is here.

SS = Single Stage. Most of the time you can find them in various forums' classified sections. If you want new, some of the strongest systems come from sdumper. His web site is here.

Actually same place i bought my OCZ sells his unit aswell, priced alot higher than my low wattage SS.

Frozen CPU Cooler Express Page

I would ask Sdumper for a quote though, i have a feeling his units for frozencpu might be lower wattage. Also its probably cheaper if he ships it straight to you without going through them. It cost me around 200$ to ship mine, and they would only use the US postal service.

(man i am asking him for a quote to, I want a 3 stager)

edit -- (the system i bought was 350$ before shipping, due to it being end of life, as a product from ocz)

Last edited:
Heh, hope you've got a good $2,500 sitting around! That may even be on the low side, I'm not sure. A two stage is enough for most people. Temps hover around -100 to -110°C from what I've seen. If you want to go all out though, more power to you; I'm more than happy to drool over the pics!

Heh, hope you've got a good $2,500 sitting around! That may even be on the low side, I'm not sure. A two stage is enough for most people. Temps hover around -100 to -110°C from what I've seen. If you want to go all out though, more power to you; I'm more than happy to drool over the pics!

2500 is about right for a 3 stager, i would love a 5 stage with the fifth being a nitrogen loop, its around 300-400$ for the compressors, and around that for the gas for each loop.

After the second, the law of diminishing returns really starts to kick in. My wallet (which can't afford a 2-stager right now anyway) would force me to stop at two. :D

After the second, the law of diminishing returns really starts to kick in. My wallet (which can't afford a 2-stager right now anyway) would force me to stop at two. :D

Yeah but you just can't beat sitting down flipping a switch and going, without having to deal with loading and watching a pot at the same time as your pushing equiptment. Its been really really nice to have 8hour + runs like that.

Back