• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Icons changing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Hey, my icons that are shortcuts seem to be changing, and I'm not sure why:
help.png

First they changed from the arrow, to this.

Then after I saved this file, I noticed that several change to two arrows in a circle, and some have red minus symbols on it.

Is this cryptolocker or something else?

Last edited:
Crud, I've got to go to work. Some now have speaker icons on them.

I'm shutting this computer down and going to work.

I'm at work, and thinking about it a bit more, I wonder if it is a carbonite glitch. When I opened the desktop as a folder, the carbonite dots were there, but none of them show when looking at the desktop directly. Also, I opened a few data files and they opened just fine.

Still shut it off before I left because I'd rather be safe than sorry.

So, does anybody have any idea what is going on?

Oh god, I pray it's not cryptolocker buddy :cry:

Might just be the icon cache too: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

I have a batch file to copy a small text doc (to stop my WD greens from parking their heads, the load/unload count is 85,000+ after a few months! :eek: ) but it showed up as the F@H client :shrug:

My icon cache was missing somehow, and a reboot rebuilt it and all icons are normal now.

Can't hurt to try it. :)

If it is just the icons getting screwed up, and not really a serious problem, would something like this be worth trying?

http://winaero.com/download.php?view.39

You can try it, in fact I'm downloading it now :)

I'll let you know what it actually can do.

EDIT: Okay yeah, that's actually pretty neat!
It changes all the icons to what every you select:

Notice the little arrow right?:
Before.PNG

Now after I click "Classic Shortcut":
After.PNG

Then we can remove the arrow entirely!:
No Shortcuts.PNG

Yeah, torin3 try it out, like you said it might just be some glitch.

Last edited:
Well, when I got home and booted up, all the shortcut arrows were back. The carbonite status dots took about 10 minutes to come back. So, I think carbonite managed to accidentally corrupt the icon cache. Rebooting fixed it.

I'll go ahead and download it because I like the smaller arrows anyway. And it will probably be good to have on hand to repair it if it goes bad again.

Thanks for the help!

Back