• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ideas on how to use a heat exchanger plate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nuhash

My dad got a replacement heat exchanger plate for the boiler at home but the old one isnt broken and i asked to keep it

i have cleaned it out and tested it using boiling and cold water and it seems to do what its supposed to do

in case you dont know a heat exchanger plate has two loops one is a hot loop and the other is a cold loop and it has several ridged copper plates, its used in boilers with the hot loop input being steam which condensed to a liquid by the cold loop which is then heated, its meant for liquid to liquid heat exchange
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_heat_exchanger

i have been trying to think of "novelle" ideas to implement this in computer cooling, here a few:
water chiller- by using both loops as one and covering the plate with undervolted peltiers and several copper heatsinks with delta fans, it may work as a chiller
or use it with a phase change, liquid freon in which takes heat from the water and vapourises

ultralarge waterblock- attach directly to cpu and cool heat exchanger plate with water

radiator-flow hot water through both loops and then use fans+heatsinks to cool the plate

just so you know, boiler grade heat exchanger plates cost around £70+ depending on where you get it from and industrial ones are around £300

hello Nuhash, i know little about heat exchanges; but I think you'll find information here for sure. I think this thread belongs more under "extreme cooling." I have read some threads and attempts with heat exchanges and I think the general consensus is that they're a pain in the butt; and will take more time/effort to setup and run. i think i recall reading something about too excessive temp differences start to cause condensation; condensation in the PC is BAD. :D

Use an AC chiller, the DYI type and circulte liquid through the cold side. The other side would be cleaner liquid but still anti-freezed etc to the PC loop. Been done, it works.

And yes, ask this to be put in the extreme sub-cooling forum for better help.

thanks for the tips, i thought this go in watercooling as its a boiler part but i guess i should have realised this is going a bit beyond your standard pump,rad,waterblock setup

am i right in assuming a mod would kindly move this thread?

Back