• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Identify a pelt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FizzledFiend

Overclockers~
I ran across a pelt in my "big bin of goodies" I have no recollection of where this pelt came from, and there are no visible markings on the pelt it's self. I resently blew a Radeon 9600 pro in a heatsink removal job gone way way bad. (first time I broke anything) anyways I left the GPU water block in the loop as I plan on getting another 9600 pro or better. I thought now would be a good time to test this pelt out in the system. I took a spare 300 watt PSU and jumped the green to black so it would power on i then thrust the positive lead from the pelter into the yellow lead in a molex conector, I did the same for the ground (black to black)

Due to my lack of thermal testing equipment I am only able to tell you it has raised my CPU core 3 degrees.

I took a copper plate of a recently bought Barton 2500+ Stock heatsink (AMD doing something wierd here copper plate screwed to the bottom of alluminum heatsink) I then used some mounting parts from a thermaltake Vidcard heatpipe cooler and mounted the peltier to the Swiftech GPU waterblock. waterblock/copperplate/pelt

My question is: How can i tell what wattage this Pelter will handle, might it handle cooling a 9600 to 9800 pro?

after 2 hours I have a sinificant accumilation of ice on the cold side, but without a load on it I assume this is irrelevant.

Any Ideas?

waht is the size of the pelt LxW. That might give us a range and also is there sealing around the edges of it.

1 3/4 X 1 3/4 inches there is a partial insulation around the TEC seems this came out of some sort of Foam insulation as there is some residue on the wire leads as well. Does this effect performace should I remove or replace the insulation around the TEC and if so with what insulation? Liquid tape, silicone, or spary foam?

that's about 45x45mm, could be a 120-170, maybe lower, hard to tell.
You wouldn't happend to have a multimeter? If you do, measure the current that goes through it, if you know the power it requires to run, you will be able to know fairly accuretly what the Qmax (max "pumped" heat) of this pelt is. Not that both are equals.

well all I have here in my lab is a meager bobo 300 watt PSU I will grab a 24 Volt 40 amp PSU from work tomarow and try that...can you over volt a Pelt and how would i go about testing the current on this to know what it is capable of? I may be under powering this you think?

AHH HA! wife just walked in and reminded me where I got this thing. I went dumpster diving about 2 years back and i found a Igloo cooler without a lid...I tracked down the igloo website and found this information:

What is the wattage/amperage on the units?
The active cooling units use approximately 48 - 60 watts (depending on the unit) and about 4.2 - 5.0 amps.

What are the technical specifications?

12 Volts DC
AMPS + - 10 percent for cooling
Current drain 4.5 AMPS at 12 volts DC, 4.2 AMPS is 48 watts
Fan motor 12 volts DC
Battery consumption - Drains between 3 AMPS and 5 AMPS
Converter provides 5 plus AMPS of power UL listed

ok so now I know what it is..can it handle cooling anything or should i give it to my son for a science project?

FizzledFiend said:
12 Volts DC
AMPS + - 10 percent for cooling
Current drain 4.5 AMPS at 12 volts DC, 4.2 AMPS is 48 watts
Fan motor 12 volts DC
Battery consumption - Drains between 3 AMPS and 5 AMPS
Converter provides 5 plus AMPS of power UL listed

ok so now I know what it is..can it handle cooling anything or should i give it to my son for a science project?

give it to your son, it is too underrrated to do any good. A tec usually will consume more than what it can pump, in your case, your pelt consume around 50W, so you can guess it can pump around 40W of heat wich is probably very close to your gpu "rating". Problem is, when a tec pumps the maximum heat it is rated for, the temperature difference between the hot and cold plate is 0!! so it will be completly useless to use it for a gpu cooler. This is why people using TEC always buy overrated (in respect to what the cpu/gpu "emit") TEC, like a TEC with Qmax=226W to cool a cpu with actual Q=100W.

^^^^ what he said, also since its large size wise it wouldn't be suitable for a vid card as most require a 40*40mm pelt to work properly. It would be good for a science projet though.

It could be used as a coffee warmer or beer cooler perhaps? I've wanted to make some kind of a reversable beverage tempreture controller. I might play around with the idea if I had a TEC and PSU that I didn't mind losing. Anyone care to donate ;)

Back