• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idle temp too high

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bothoven

Registered
My cpu (athlon xp 3200+) idle temp is about 53C. I have a coolermaster aero 7+ heatsink and fan. I only have 1 rear exhaust fan in my case. Do you think the lack of case air flow can make that big of a diffarence. I have my Xaser III case coming tommorow.

yes...cases the have no air flow basically will get very warm inside and that is causing you heatsink to stay warm no matter how much air your fan is blowin on it..its blowin warm air on the sink basically

I have found that when the heat (idle) is high, its often the HS that is not on correctly. If your heavy load temps go real high, I would definitly check that Heat Sink.
I have seen this a few times. The HS is jacked up slitely on the socket back plate. It touches the CPU but not completly.
53C is very high for a idle temp unless your system temps are high into the 40s.. and I doubt it.

what does your system temp measure at? 53c idle is pretty high. I'd definitely doublecheck the heatsink and make sure it's mounted on properly.

i got my new thermaltake xaser III. and my idle is around 70C on 2 differant thermo's. The cpu fan is blowing(although not that fast and the heatsink is pretty cool. My case temp is 32C.

You must have your heatsink on wrong. Thats really high. Check for cracks in the core also. Clean it off and start over. Dont use alot of paste, or you will actually insulate the core. Just put enough to cover the core at about 1/32 of a inch if that.

ya how about this, dont turn that computer on again! U better make sure that the sink if mounted perfectly and your using the thin layer of thermal paste, not translucent, but thin. And once u turn it on, hall *** into the bios and check ur temps, and if they go above 55c after a few minutes, then remount it again till you get it right. There is no reason for nething above 55c idle unless your room temperature is 82degrees!

DUDE! 75C IS MELTING POINT FOR THAT PROCESSOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shut it down.... your cooking!!
The HS is not mounted correctly and or your thermal paste is non existant.

Reseat the HS/fan after applying a thin coat of good therml paste (paper thin). Reboot and like the guy said, hall *** to the BIOS and check your CPU temps. Must be under 50 unless its already 35 in the house :)

Wow u have something on wrong my athlon 2 2.25 and 1.8vcore is only 43-44 under load. What are u using for thermal paste?? also u might be(well r) putting the hs on wrong for temps like that. when u touch the hs when it is at 75 does it fell warm?? as mine does when it is at 43-44. But yeah 75 is that things point when BAD THINGS START TO HAPPEN!!! have someone put it that knows what they are doing to make sure. Also are u oc and make sure the voltage is stock and ur not running it on max for some strange reason.

its possible you may have also damaged the probe temperature reader, or its not accurate. First feel the HSF just to make sure its really not just the motherboard throwing numbers at you. Then you might wanna try a bios flash. Make a bootup floppy when flashing your bios. But be prositive youve fixed, or found the reason for those temps before you try to use your computer.

Back