• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idle Temperatures for Water-Cooling Rig a TAD high IMHO...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shorinman

Registered
What the elfing Santa Clause does my GPU/CPU have business idling around in the 40-45 degree CELSIUS range on a 35 degree day...? Since this afternoon, my chipset/GPU/CPU temperatures in my system (featuring Swiftech's Apogee XT CPU block for my i7; alongside MCR320-XP and MCR220-XP radiators + gear I have in this beast) have stayed at a steady 40 degrees. This does not concern me. However, since it is now 2am, and has been 25 degrees outside for roughly 4-5 hours, is it still natural for my GPU/CPU temps to be idling in the 40-45 degree Celsius range? Now it's starting to concern me. How long does it take for the liquid inside the loop to cool back down after a whole day's worth of heating up to nearly 40 degrees?

The temperatures seem a little high, especially under load (Just Cause 2, Crysis 2 for examples) as this is quite literally 20 degrees above ambient room temperature. Under load the CPU can reach an impressive 55-59 degrees.........%$&# !!!!! I'm just so lost! Do I need new thermal paste?

SPECS
Corsair Obsidian Series 800D featuring:
i7 975 Extreme Bloomfield STOCK SPEEDS
12GB Corsair XMS3 1333
Rampage III Extreme
HD 5970 2GB STOCK SPEEDS
Swiftech Loop w/ MCP355
120mm RADS/ dual
120mm RADS/ triple
7 fans total with 6 out of 7 functional at the moment
some hard-drives and bla bla bla bla

Thanks for any information you may have!

Last edited:
Hmm. Your saying your room temps get to 35C? But later while gaming and the room temps drop to 25C you still have high temps?

I'm not sure I undersand, we'll work it out.

The CPU temps are 20C above room temps? Not unusual. True DT temps is the water temp above the air temps. I know When my room is is at 78F (25F), and my CPU loads at 56C on the hottest core, I'm okay with that. Thats not DT temps. It's 21C difference in temps. though.

At 35C room temps and idling for an hour in windows and your CPU is at 40C? Fine.

My old setup, a fully seperate 120x3 rad with a XT CPU block, it's old pump, a 355 idled at 35C max core at 25C ambient.

Lets add 10 C. My core would idle at almost 10C hotter. So it would idle at 45C. Where your room temp is, and your giving it no chance to cool down.

Thats what I see, you got lots of raddage, I think your room temp measurements need to be measured with 3 less Fosters. All I could think of.

What fans?

BTW, this belongs in the WC forum, not air cooled............

hey guys, thanks for your quick responses. Fans = 5x 120mm Coolermaster (for the MCR320-XP and the MCR220-XP) + 2x 140mm Coolermaster (hard drives+GPU)

Here in Southwestern Ontario we've just been experiencing a week-and-a-half long heat-wave, reaching temperatures into the mid to high 30s (celsius). This is worrisome for my precious build as the heat is just intolerable when this thing displaces it out of the chassis! And the cooling fluid just gets hot like tea.

This morning isn't better. It's already 30 degrees at 10am and it's steadily but surely climbing to 40 today. EFF! No gaming/music making today I guess.

Thanks again, guys. This forum made me want to sign up because everyone seems so knowledgeable whether genuine knowledge learnt or just from experience!

I don't think there is much wrong, but the specs on many fans are very suspect. And coolermaster has been panned as out n out liers.

So, research fans here, at Martins and Skinnees and the stickies at Xtreme Systems too.

And with a room at 35C, watercooling isn't magic. Not a lot you can do.
http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/936/0
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3
http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/724577-well-dressed-megahalems-65-fans-112-a.html
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...mation-Guides-amp-Reviews-Tests-amp-Galleries

Hey again guys and thanks for the replies by all..

It's been about a week, the heat-wave in southwestern Ontario is still in full swing... However, I notice that no matter what time of day, or ambient room temperature (i.e. 34*C during the day, drops to about 22-24 at night) the CPU/GPU temps always stay the same! I.e. 40 idle, 50 under load. WTF... I am sooo bloody frustrated :( This whole loop cost over $500 :( :( :(

When it was about 16-20*C ambient room temperature during early early spring/end of winter my PC would idle at 30*C, even under load we never went above 34. I am insanely frustrated. Something is messed up - but my bad-boy is scheduled to be going in for a professional cleaning soon. See if that makes the difference, besides, one fan is buggered up, and they're Cooler Master as well.. and I've head they're crud. Thanks again folks.

If your max temps with an I7 975 are only reaching 50 C under load I would call that great and have no worries at all! Intel CPUs will tolerate core temps of 70+ easily. Idle temps are not very important nor are they always particularly reliable. The sensor calibration is targeted for load temps I think.

Cooler Master Sickle Flow. 120mm x5

Cooler Master Sickle Flow. 140mm x1 + Corsair (something or other?). 140mm x1

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103090

and this one in GREEN to match my rig:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103077
The fans with the black frames and clear blades look amazing with the LEDs, but I don't trust CM ratings on their fans, as they have been known to be a little dishonest with their CFM and noise ratings. The R4 is a perfectly good example of this. 70 CFM at 2000 RPM, with a rating of 19 dbA? How far away from the fan were they to get that kind of noise rating?:rofl: Also, $10 to ship a $10 fan? Seems a bit excessive to me.:bang head
If your max temps with an I7 975 are only reaching 50 C under load I would call that great and have no worries at all! Intel CPUs will tolerate core temps of 70+ easily. Idle temps are not very important nor are they always particularly reliable. The sensor calibration is targeted for load temps I think.

If I remember right, trents is correct about the sensor calibration. I seem to remember reading something where Intel explained that the sensors were inaccurate below 50°C. It would definitely be worth looking into.

Intel core temp sensors are somewhere between dubiously accurate and wildly inaccurate at the lower end of their scale. The closer to 100*c they get the more accurate they are.
Many will "stick" at a certain temp and won't read any lower, regardless of the core temp.

For bonus points, that i7 975 is a wildly hot chip, 50c-ish load temps are very good. That chip is really built for liquid nitrogen cooling, it puts off a tremendous amount of heat at a given clock speed.
It's also good for 80c at full load and vaguely reasonable voltages, 50c is literally nothing to it. Crank that sucker up!

I don't see any problem at all with your temps. Water cooling won't make the chip run cold. And, as mentioned above, there needs to be a differential temperature for the thing to be able to transfer any heat at all.

Back