• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE and FireFox suck, anyone got another browser ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RangerJoe said:
Jod, I dont know what the "fetch text urls" extension is, but the rest of those are built into opera (in one form or another)...

One thing that upsets me with firefox, there does not exist an extension that will do mouse gestures as well as opera does.

The fetch text url's lets me highlight text, right click and open url in new/current tab.

Hmm...mouse gestures improved :eh?: Sounds nummy. Here's how it works for that ext. There's some options to pick from, ie. copy url to tab. Then draw the ext or type it out, ie. [r,d,u]. Options on size/color of line as well as "rocker" buttons for back/forward exist as well. So how does Op handle them?

You can see the Go to URL option in the right click menu. The bar that is just below the address bar also has the ability to hide (button on the far right end of the address bar opens it up)

If you see the Rewind/Fast Forward (I must have forgotten to put that on), opera automatically caches each tab completely, but instead of putting that information in memory, it puts it on the hard drive. That way your resource uses barely go up the more you use opera, but as soon as you close opera it removes the cache (unless you save your session, which is also a built in feature)

opera.JPG.png

Jod said:
The fetch text url's lets me highlight text, right click and open url in new/current tab.

Hmm...mouse gestures improved :eh?: Sounds nummy. Here's how it works for that ext. There's some options to pick from, ie. copy url to tab. Then draw the ext or type it out, ie. [r,d,u]. Options on size/color of line as well as "rocker" buttons for back/forward exist as well. So how does Op handle them?

I don't know how in the world you people can say Opera is either faster or uses less resources.

I just loaded up Opera 8, then immediately loaded my Firefox 1.06 - which was installed yesterday (format). The problem with resources is that flash and shockwave plugins don't play nicely with Firefox/mozilla/netscape - and never have. Flash objects use a ridiculous amount of resources ... which makes both Adblock and Flashblock amazing extensions

On startup Opera does use less resources, but after loading each of 4 pages in each - Firefox used just above HALF the memory Opera was ... and caught up to the CPU time used of 0:00:06 only AFTER I THEN navigated to ocforums.com, to this section, and then to this thread.

It definitely took more time to load every page in Opera. Especially the first - msn.com - which took around 15 seconds for ANYTHING to come up ... while that can be chalked up to MSN's poor webpage...I did load it in firefox DURING that time to make sure it wasn't down. Opera does load text quickly, but lags behind on images.

some of you are just fanboys. I've used Opera exclusively in the past and I hated it. It was slow, and even after YEARS I STILL can't login to my college's student info website!

Maybe it's just person to person's personal preference... on my machine and pages I view, opera owns firefox...

I keep firefox around though because of it's extensions, and broader compatibility with some websites. (There's a couple I frequent that Opera drops the ball on, but I'll be DAMNED if I open IE ever again) :)

telexen said:
I don't know how in the world you people can say Opera is either faster or uses less resources.

I just loaded up Opera 8, then immediately loaded my Firefox 1.06 - which was installed yesterday (format). The problem with resources is that flash and shockwave plugins don't play nicely with Firefox/mozilla/netscape - and never have. Flash objects use a ridiculous amount of resources ... which makes both Adblock and Flashblock amazing extensions

On startup Opera does use less resources, but after loading each of 4 pages in each - Firefox used just above HALF the memory Opera was ... and caught up to the CPU time used of 0:00:06 only AFTER I THEN navigated to ocforums.com, to this section, and then to this thread.

It definitely took more time to load every page in Opera. Especially the first - msn.com - which took around 15 seconds for ANYTHING to come up ... while that can be chalked up to MSN's poor webpage...I did load it in firefox DURING that time to make sure it wasn't down. Opera does load text quickly, but lags behind on images.

some of you are just fanboys. I've used Opera exclusively in the past and I hated it. It was slow, and even after YEARS I STILL can't login to my college's student info website!
Was this with a fresh Opera install? If so, I'd bet that the main reason Opera was slower was because Firefox already had pages cached (whereas Opera would have to spend a bit of time to download them anew).

I haven't used Opera much, but it does "feel" faster to me (and there's no doubt the back button IS faster -- I don't think Opera even checks to see if the page was updated if you go back). I mainly use Firefox, but I wouldn't complain if sat down in front of Opera.

JigPu

Does Firefox break all the time for anyone else? I like it but I find I need to reinstall it every month or so. Either it starts to lose functionality or it won't open or something else screwy happens. I tried and tried to like Firefox but I'm sick of babysitting it all the time.

So I use IE. Security holes? Yeah that's what folks tell me but between my hardware firewall and Kaspersky, I've never had a problem. Maybe I'm just not visiting as many pr0n and warez sites as some people.

Skeen said:
Does Firefox break all the time for anyone else? I like it but I find I need to reinstall it every month or so.

No problems here. I continually reinstall windows and just drag over the mozilla folder in app data without issue.

Opera sure does seem nice, but I have a really hard time paying for something when freeware exists. Examples, Avast AV, Sygate firewall, Firefox. They may not be as uber as Kaspersky, Outpost Pro, or Opera, but they get the job done with minimal fuss.

One thing I do miss in my firefox sessions relates to a feature in Avant browser, ie based. There were icons on the toolbar to split windows vertically/horizontally. Those buttons were worth their weight in good ram!

JigPu said:
Was this with a fresh Opera install? If so, I'd bet that the main reason Opera was slower was because Firefox already had pages cached (whereas Opera would have to spend a bit of time to download them anew).

I haven't used Opera much, but it does "feel" faster to me (and there's no doubt the back button IS faster -- I don't think Opera even checks to see if the page was updated if you go back). I mainly use Firefox, but I wouldn't complain if sat down in front of Opera.

JigPu

This was on pages I had yet to view in firefox, and it was a brand new installation of Opera. I won't list off the site names, because a few of them contain material which a lot of people might find offensive (one of those sites with videos/pics of people doing stupid things)

Firefox does handle pages loaded after pressing the back button differently, but betas of future versions of Firefox are set to cache them differently so they load faster.

Skeen said:
Does Firefox break all the time for anyone else? I like it but I find I need to reinstall it every month or so. Either it starts to lose functionality or it won't open or something else screwy happens. I tried and tried to like Firefox but I'm sick of babysitting it all the time.

So I use IE. Security holes? Yeah that's what folks tell me but between my hardware firewall and Kaspersky, I've never had a problem. Maybe I'm just not visiting as many pr0n and warez sites as some people.

The only problem I've had with it "breaking" was with 1.0.2. Multiple times I had to reinstall that version because it would just stop opening. I was playing around with extensions a lot during that time...but none of which I haven't used since without a problem. Since the release of 1.0.3 I've had no problems.

One thing's for sure...IE is not safe to use. Whether you use Opera, or Firefox/Mozilla, or anything else deemed web-worthy...IE ISN'T web-worthy. A firewall won't stop it from running activex on your system.

Wow, they have made it permanantly free. About two weeks ago they had something like 24 hours of free lisences and had a record number of downloads.

Now people cant whine about a not free browser!!

Jod, if you are using opera, shoot me a PM or AIM me (promodojo55) and I will help you with the customizing if you want.

Hehe...time to play.

113772640.jpg

Out of all the flavors of browsers(for Windows) we still only have three to pick from. IE, Netscape(Gecko) and Opera. Not very many choices. Alot of in between though. Pick a engine you like and go from there.

I stick with what I am comfy using. That way I can control the security of it or know what the limits are. The more I use one browser the more I learn about it. Then I can get into how its quirks and any idiosyncrasies for that engine. As I use it, natural feeling, thoughtless workarounds that become part of my browsing habits.

I have been using a Netscape based browser for so long. I use it out of habit and if there is an issue quickly fix it. Each has its own style of doing things.

I mainly use linux. Firefox is my primary browser, but I use Opera and Konqueror as well. I was just wondering if there was a KHTML-based browser (like Konqueror or Safari) for windows?

I run IE will all updates and security patches and never have any problems.

I have nothing against firefox or any other browser. The key to IE is to stay up on all the security updates, and reformat your drive regularly.

VinnyTAMU said:

I have nothing against firefox or any other browser. The key to IE is to stay up on all the security updates, and reformat your drive regularly.
you shouldnt have to reformat all the time though.

just because you can..doesnt mean you should.

IE is just an obsolete browser now. lacking in features and functionality, but MS gets away with it because they are MS

Gnufsh said:
I mainly use linux. Firefox is my primary browser, but I use Opera and Konqueror as well. I was just wondering if there was a KHTML-based browser (like Konqueror or Safari) for windows?
According to this wikipedia entry, it looks like there's nothing KTHML based on Windows.

JigPu

That's like saying a Ford Pinto is a safe car, you just have to have new children every couple weeks when they blow up.

Keeping up with security updates is a good idea in any browser. Reformating should never be necessary, unless you want to switch to a different filesystem. Perhaps Linux has spoiled me in that regard.

Back