• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you are running your P4 over 1.75v....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker456

I'm hearing a lot of S.D.N.S and I hear people afraid to boost up the voltage on their P4's. I want to prove a point... I don't think that S.D.N.S is a real issue if you're under 50C at load and not over 1.85v... Anyway if you are running your CPU over 1.75v please let us know how long you've been running it at that voltage and you load temps... thanks..

Most people who have issues is those using phase change in combination with a high voltage. Due to the drastic changes in temperature and high voltage, thats what kills the chip.

My first northwood was a 2.2A. I ran it at 1.85 volts cooled with a swifty water block. It ran for about 2 months and went downhill very quickly in a matter of about 2 days until it would no longer load windows at any speed. After that I got a 1.6A and used the oem hsf. I ran it at 1.8 for about 1 month and then it did the same thing - no longer stable at any speed and finally wouldn't load windows at all. After that experience I got a 1.8A and tried overclocking it with a swiftech mcx478. I ran it at 1.75 for about 3 months and then one day it did the exact same thing. These were all with different motherboards and misc hardware. Now I've got a 3.06 and I don't dare run it higher than 1.7. We'll see how long this one lasts.

TC said:
My first northwood was a 2.2A. I ran it at 1.85 volts cooled with a swifty water block. It ran for about 2 months and went downhill very quickly in a matter of about 2 days until it would no longer load windows at any speed. After that I got a 1.6A and used the oem hsf. I ran it at 1.8 for about 1 month and then it did the same thing - no longer stable at any speed and finally wouldn't load windows at all. After that experience I got a 1.8A and tried overclocking it with a swiftech mcx478. I ran it at 1.75 for about 3 months and then one day it did the exact same thing. These were all with different motherboards and misc hardware. Now I've got a 3.06 and I don't dare run it higher than 1.7. We'll see how long this one lasts.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's some freaky cow poop! Thanks for letting us know. I think you already proved that SNDS exist ;)

Seems kinda pointless, someone could be running 2v for a while without a failure, another could fail at 1.75v?

Anyways, 1.79v, 1.8A @ 2.8, 63c underload
running for 7 months,

I also have a 1.6A @ 2.4, with 1.87v for a year and a bit

TC said:

ummm.. wow... ummm...wow.... what a story.. what kind of load temps were you getting on these chips, if you remember of course.. and did you folding 24/7 or something like that?? i'm like to know what kind of use the computer had.. thanks...

vapour it said:
Seems kinda pointless, someone could be running 2v for a while without a failure, another could fail at 1.75v?

Anyways, 1.79v, 1.8A @ 2.8, 63c underload
running for 7 months,

I also have a 1.6A @ 2.4, with 1.87v for a year and a bit

63C under load is very high.. I suggest you get better cooling for that chip...

P4 2.8 Ghz @ 3.32Ghz, 1.792 Vcore, Thermalright AX-478 w/ Vantec Tornado adjusted down to 4500 RPM. Stable. All i need now is better RDRAM.

I don't think the cause of SNDS has been adequately explained. I plan on doing some statistical work on the subject sometime soon and I'll post my results. Thus far, I've seen it happen from a myriad of guessed reasons including over-volting, overtly high-temperatures, mobo inadequacies, and PSU issues.

toymaker said:
P4 2.8 Ghz @ 3.32Ghz, 1.792 Vcore, Thermalright AX-478 w/ Vantec Tornado adjusted down to 4500 RPM. Stable. All i need now is better RDRAM.

that's close to my setup, but I'm at 3.4GHz with 1.775v what temps are you getting at load??

You guys are still pumping in that much vcore when their is a possibility that you might loose $300+ just for a little bit more of performance :eek:
Wow!

I agree! With the inconsistency of the P4PE overvolting problem I wont exceed 1.725 in BIOS - and I won't do that for extended periods. Too much to lose for a few FPS.

Overclocker456 said:

that's close to my setup, but I'm at 3.4GHz with 1.775v what temps are you getting at load??

What temperatures are u getting with that setup?? The idle and Load. Do you think during summer u can keep the same setup?

Mike

I run Seti 24/7 on all of my systems. The 2.2A ran about 105F under full load with the water block. The 1.6A was much hotter with the oem hsf - probably 125F from what I vaguely remember. The 1.8A ran a little cooler with the swifty hsf. Right now the 3.06 is running extremely hot with the stock hsf, but I'm going to water cool it before I run it hard.

TC said:
I run Seti 24/7 on all of my systems. The 2.2A ran about 105F under full load with the water block. The 1.6A was much hotter with the oem hsf - probably 125F from what I vaguely remember. The 1.8A ran a little cooler with the swifty hsf. Right now the 3.06 is running extremely hot with the stock hsf, but I'm going to water cool it before I run it hard.

I knew it.. 24/7 full loading kills CPUs... that's why i'm a bit scared of folding...

Overclocker456 said:

I knew it.. 24/7 full loading kills CPUs... that's why i'm a bit scared of folding...

I've run my PIII 1GHz at 1125 and at 1.95V for over a year w/ SETI 24/7. Not a huge overclock, but it's been there for a year without a hiccup. I've also run my Cel-T 1.0A at 1.53GHz and 1.675VCore without a hiccup.

Neither are Northwoods but it's not putting a CPU under full load that kills a chip. It depends on the chip and conditions.

jazztrumpet216 said:

I've run my PIII 1GHz at 1125 and at 1.95V for over a year w/ SETI 24/7. Not a huge overclock, but it's been there for a year without a hiccup. I've also run my Cel-T 1.0A at 1.53GHz and 1.675VCore without a hiccup.

Neither are Northwoods but it's not putting a CPU under full load that kills a chip. It depends on the chip and conditions.

oh yeah.. PIII and Celerons can take much more voltage... without question.. I mean I had a 566 celeron at 850MHz using 1.925v for over 2 years!!! no problems.. but again those cores are completely different... I wish I could run my chip at 1.925v now.. I'd be at like 3.7GHz..

Back