• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If You Use Ebay/paypal Read This!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
THIS NEEDS TO BE STICKIED, OR BUMPED UNTIL A LARGE GROUP OF PEOPLE HAVE SEEN IT.

Yesterday I was scammed. I knew something wasn't right, but I wasn't thinking about all the possibilities.

I made an auction for a hard drive on ebay a few days ago. Then, yesterday someone bought the drive using buy it now. They paid me right away too. Then, they sent me an email saying that they had no need for it anymore, and wanted their money back. He did this all within hours, and on the weekend, so there was no time for me to ship it.

I thought about it, and discussed it over with some fellow traders, and came to the conclusion that I would refund his money, minus shipping since I would have to relist it, and for my lost time. I sent him and email, and he agreed, so I sent him back $25, and kept $5 for my troubles. I was making a profit of $5, so I was happy.

He then kept emailing me, trying to get me to buy things from his store, and he would say how he makes so much money selling things to companies like Compusa. I would laugh to myself, knowing that he was obviously trying to get me to buy things like LCDs, then not ship them, and I wasn't going to fall for that one!

Then, today I get an email from paypal saying that I have received bad money, and they will take it away from me. They took the full $30 away from me, even though I had paid him back, so I lost $56.17. PayPal was nice enough to give me a $1.17 fee when they took the $30 out.

He sucessfully scammed me, and so far paypal has not done anythng to protect me. I used PP balance, and not CC for the refund, so its all upto PP to protect me now. I will update this, and let people know how it works out for me, but everyone should be VERY careful when they return someone's money, or maybe not even return it at all.

The user had 0 feedback, but had bought the domain of a computer business and was using it as his, atleast that's what I think from the information I've gathered.

If this thread has saved anyone from being scammed, please let me know, or post it in here.

NEW: It goes even further now. The alleged scammer replied to an email saying that he was scammed by someone else, and I'm seeing the falllout of that, and he is completely legit. He also told me to watch what I say, which sounded like a threat, so I'm going to back out of it now, paypal has all of his information, including emails now, so we'll see how it goes. What's funny is how he says he has so much experience selling stuff, yet he has 0 feedback. It'll be interesting to see if PayPal says he's the scammer or not, either way I have learned a lesson once more. I learn things the hard way, its my nature I guess.

Last edited:
Ouch, sorry to hear about it. I hope Paypal gets the money back to you, although you shouldn't get your hopes up too much.

This doesn't really apply much in your situation, but when I sold items on Ultima Online, I had a friend would would take all the money out of her account and disconnect it from any bank accounts or CC's whenever she did a transaction. It worked extremely well in preventing chargebacks (When dealing with "Virtual" Items, there are a lot of scammers :rolleyes: ).

Also, have you PM'ed SSS? I'm sure he can help you with this situation somehow.

Nothing can really be done to help me. I'm going to let PayPal do their thing.

I feel that I have a good chance getting my money back.

It's a shame when anyone gets caught up in a scam. Sorry to hear for your loss.

You work hard for your money, you should be able to retain it.

Pinky said:
stop your whining.

I was honestly trying to show people how they can be scammed, using my loss as an example. That is not whining.

On the other hand, telling someone else to stop whining that is trying to help people, then showing your own losses could be considered whining.

Nice guys finish last. :(

I keep telling people to do what I do. It will save you many times.

Make a second paypal to recieve and send cash (under another family name). Do not put any Credit Card or Bank information on file. Have the people send money there whenever you sell stuff and then you send the cash to your other "good" account. That why if you are ever scammed their isn't any money in your account to take.

nissmo300 said:
I keep telling people to do what I do. It will save you many times.

Make a second paypal to recieve and send cash (under another family name). Do not put any Credit Card or Bank information on file. Have the people send money there whenever you sell stuff and then you send the cash to your other "good" account. That why if you are ever scammed their isn't any money in your account to take.

but 2 accounts and with 1 addy wont work... now if u got 2 addresses your good to go but I dont :(

Not practical when you have so many transactions a day.

i used my grandmom's address for my second one.... so far i didnt have any problems.

Also, he's not selling "many" things a day, he sold a HD.

Foxie3a said:
I was honestly trying to show people how they can be scammed, using my loss as an example. That is not whining.

On the other hand, telling someone else to stop whining that is trying to help people, then showing your own losses could be considered whining.

Nice guys finish last. :(

Pinkys comments were out of line :temper:

Anyway I feel bad for you foxie, could have been worse is all I can say... :(

Hmmm... maybe I forgot the smiley. In my first post I was kidding, but now you're all whining about my comment about whining.

Nevermind!

:rolleyes:

It looks like he wasn't lying. I got an email from paypal today saying that they've figured out the funds were not unauthorized, and they gave me my money back. So this story ends with a happy ending. Although, this is an easy way to scam someone, so I'm going to remember this for the future.

ok, since i do a few transactions with ebay and pp, can someone tell me what exactly "bad money" is? did the guy basically steal an account to sent money? if so there has to be a source of funding regardless right? like a direct withdrawl of a checking account or a charge on a CC.. how is there bad money?

Gongo56 said:
ok, since i do a few transactions with ebay and pp, can someone tell me what exactly "bad money" is? did the guy basically steal an account to sent money? if so there has to be a source of funding regardless right? like a direct withdrawl of a checking account or a charge on a CC.. how is there bad money?

Usually these things are caused by Phishing e-mails where the Paypal/Ebay account holder was stupid enough to give out his Password.

When I said "bad money" I was just referring to money that for some reason, might not be fully legit.

I have a question. Could someone somehow make fake money in paypal, maybe for a little bit of time, then give it to me, then request it back, I give it back as good legit money, then he runs? It sounds like that was what I was thinking happened from the start, which doesn't make sense. Maybe if its from a stolen account sending it to me would create more confusion? But that wouldn't make sense since they freeze everything anyway.

Yes, I could put that in my auction, but then what, he complains forever then gives me negative feedback even though I did nothing wrong. I was looking out for myself.

umm wait, even if money is sent via stolen account, then refunded back, how did the original money (the 'bad' money) not count towards your credit? wouldnt you just have refunded the same back to the guy?.. unless maybe the owner of the stolen account put a stop on a CC or something like that... when you send money via papal, something gets charged or deducted.. it's not like he just pulls numbers out of the air right? it's got to come from a bank account or CC

Sorry to hear you got scammed. Whether it's $56.17 or $1600 it's still a scam!

Wouldn't shipping to confirmed addresses only prevent this from happening?

Back