• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you water-cool, VOTE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

If you water-cool, VOTE

• 25/75% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 118 12.3%
  • 10/90% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 255 26.6%
  • 5/95% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 77 8.0%
  • Zerex super protector(or equivalent) @ manufacturers recommended concentration.

Votes: 64 6.7%
  • 10/90% Zerex super protector(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Windshield washer fluid.

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Water Wetter(or equivalent) @ manufacturers recommended concentration.

Votes: 80 8.3%
  • 5/95% Water Wetter(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 74 7.7%
  • plain distilled water

Votes: 140 14.6%
  • Any of the above with bleach or any other biocide. OR OTHER PLEASE LIST BELOW!

Votes: 83 8.6%

• Total voters
Diggrr said:
As far as I know, the blue stuff is ~30% alcohol, distilled water, and some mild detergents & color in small ammounts.

The wiper fluid in my car is 33:66 methanol to water - this is a common concentration for windshield fluid mixtures, but certainly isn't always the case.

With the possibility of nervous system effects from methanol, I would keep the methanol concentration as low as possible - like below 10% of total solution.

Just something for others to keep in mind since windshield fluid was mentioned.

User to run Distilled water and about 2% WW. Then I got annoyed with the gunk it left in the tubes and the smell.

Now I just run straight distilled and just flush the system every 6 months. I have a little bit of corrosion (little green stuff on the tubes) but nothing life threating.

Foxy

GAH.... I hope those 14 people who picked 'Any of the above with bleach or any other biocide. OR OTHER PLEASE LIST BELOW!' are runing other biocides and not bleach....

you'd probably be better off drinking the bleach instead of putting it in your loop. *

* Please don't drink bleach.

I voted 25% Freeze/75% Distilled. It was the closest to what I run. The toxic juice running through my tubes consists of about 20% Prestone (orange) Dexcool, and 80% distilled water with a splash of humidifier bacteriostat. I would use less antifreeze, but my block has an aluminum top.

The first time I built my system I didn't used any bacteriostat. When I took it apart a few months later I noticed green nastyness on the tubes around where the fittings were. So now I use bacteriostat.

Also for anybody that wants to know, my system uses about 2-3 cups of water. It is a CPU only system with a T-line in a mid tower so it doesn't use much fluid.

Last edited:
I got some distilled water with an assload of red dye in it (way more than i was supposed to, but it's still PINK!!!) and that's it. Now it's getting pinker and pinker cuz of all the white crap growing in it.

89.9% Distilled Water
10% Prestone Low-Tox Propylene Glycol Anti-Freeze
2 teaspons Iodine (anti-growth)

Small sidebar for the guys not using distilled or even more purified water. Even drinking water generally has minerals etc in it that will eventually cause buildup in a system. Go with distilled. Its cheap, easy to get, and will save you having your cooling slowly taper due to buildup in your HC and other places.

***EDIT***
NovaShine- I vaguely remember reading that standard food dye is actually fairly corrosive. Ya might do some checking around on it just in case.

Toyota brand "red" antifreeze, 10% or so plus regular tap water. No issues, corrosion, algae, ever.

Hey, why isn't Fluid XP+ up there? :confused: Anyway, even though I don't Watercool now, im going to use Fluid XP+, even though its a bit more than just plain distilled water, I find that investing ~$50 is worth protecting an investment of $1500+, not to mention. The possabality of it protecting my LIFE!

Last edited:
Bugsmasher said:
89.9% Distilled Water
10% Prestone Low-Tox Propylene Glycol Anti-Freeze
2 teaspons Iodine (anti-growth)

Small sidebar for the guys not using distilled or even more purified water. Even drinking water generally has minerals etc in it that will eventually cause buildup in a system. Go with distilled. Its cheap, easy to get, and will save you having your cooling slowly taper due to buildup in your HC and other places.

***EDIT***
NovaShine- I vaguely remember reading that standard food dye is actually fairly corrosive. Ya might do some checking around on it just in case.

The dye im using isnt food dye as far as i know. I got the 'fire red' dye from d-tek.

I use 5% zerex and 95% distilled with some orange dye.

If I don't have any aluminum in my system can I get away with just using distilled water? The zerex pretty much overtakes the dye and the color barely shows up and I think it clouds the tubing. After hearing that zerex doesn't even reduce temps either I am guessing that you really only need it if you have aluminum in your system unless it kills algae too.

azianese said:
I use 5% zerex and 95% distilled with some orange dye.

If I don't have any aluminum in my system can I get away with just using distilled water? The zerex pretty much overtakes the dye and the color barely shows up and I think it clouds the tubing. After hearing that zerex doesn't even reduce temps either I am guessing that you really only need it if you have aluminum in your system unless it kills algae too.

It makes it harder for creatures to live, but does not kill them.
I have zerex I am getting ready to use, but since I will be running an all copper system I might not.

NovaShine said:
so what should i use to kill all the crap in my tubes?

Some use a couple teaspoons of Iodine, or use a little alchohol. Some also use anti-fungal tablets from pet stores that disolve.
Hell, Koolance uses the anti-fungal agent found in women's yeast infection cremes.

Some say its not really needed when using Zerex, Redline, or an anti-freeze.

Bad ConNecTioN said:
Some use a couple teaspoons of Iodine, or use a little alchohol. Some also use anti-fungal tablets from pet stores that disolve.
Hell, Koolance uses the anti-fungal agent found in women's yeast infection cremes.

Some say its not really needed when using Zerex, Redline, or an anti-freeze.

Just isopropyl alcohol? How much would I need to use?

Back