• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you water-cool, VOTE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

If you water-cool, VOTE

• 25/75% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 118 12.3%
  • 10/90% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 255 26.6%
  • 5/95% antifreeze(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 77 8.0%
  • Zerex super protector(or equivalent) @ manufacturers recommended concentration.

Votes: 64 6.7%
  • 10/90% Zerex super protector(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 59 6.1%
  • Windshield washer fluid.

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Water Wetter(or equivalent) @ manufacturers recommended concentration.

Votes: 80 8.3%
  • 5/95% Water Wetter(or equivalent)/distilled water

Votes: 74 7.7%
  • plain distilled water

Votes: 140 14.6%
  • Any of the above with bleach or any other biocide. OR OTHER PLEASE LIST BELOW!

Votes: 83 8.6%

• Total voters
seems that most people use 10/90 antifreeze/distilled water. i just bought my system, still waiting on the parts, but i will prob use the whole bottle of hydrix i bought and the rest distilled h2O. that'll prob end up being 1/3 hydrix and 2/3 distilled h2O. so 33% Hydrix/66% distilled h2O. chemically and physically that seems like it would be the most thermally efficient to me.

Last edited:
I used water-wetter in my first setup that used a bong cooler. Boy was that a mistake, the stuff stinks! My room smelled because the bong was evapourating the stuff into the air! Next setup is going to be closed so I won't have to worry about that...

i am using distilled water with recommend specs for water wetter on my server. On my gaming rig i use about 50% of water wetter and distilled water together and 50% antifreeze coolent. Do you guys know which is better?

Running Distilled water and the recommended amount of Zerex coolant (1:20 ratio, so 5/95 mixture). Been working great. Went from 1% concentration of Zerex to the recommended 5% and it turned the loop a cool tint of purple and dropped my temps 2C :D. Been working great since I got my G4 a few months ago.

On a side note, I thought most of the WC'ing veterans were advising against antifreeze because of it's high viscosity putting extra strain on pumps, thus lowering system flow, pump lifetime, and other such factors? Plus negatively affecting temps because of it's inferior cooling qualities vs. water. Just something I thought I remembered reading a while back.

Been running the last couple of years with plain tap water with no issues over several blocks/systems. Rarely change water as no algae growth and have not had to top it up for the last year. I think it would be a good idea to get some litmus paper though and get a ph check on the water just to make sure we are not going acidic.

Option for tap water was not available so I did not vote.

I just had to post here, after the horrific "freeze" session i had when the kid dropped the temps to -20ºF.
5% waterwetter/95% distilled (approx. 2/3 gal total).
Have run this solution with no problems after a good flushing of the chiller (was used in a crappy-water area), for a good 1.5 years.
I can still out-chill the fluid, even if it's 100% dex-cool, but never will due to 100% humidity in the northeast......d@^^n condensation.

The folks just using water + antifreeze/coolant -- have any of you ever had any algae / biologicals problems?

15% anti-freeze (good stuff....green :D) and 85% distilled spring water

thats right, spring water!

oh and a little bit-a-blood, i caught the corner of the sharp edge on my case

hainer36 said:
15% anti-freeze (good stuff....green :D) and 85% distilled spring water

Wait a minute, wouldn't distilled spring water be the same as any other type of water that's gone through the distilation process? Meaning it lacks the dissolved minerals that make water taste good and clog up blocks.

Distilled water is distilled water, regardless as to where it came from.

RO (Reverse Osmosis) water, however, only gets out 95-98% of the minerals.

But, distilled water is distilled water. Even if it came from mud.

steve

I use this hyper lube mixed with distilled h20, it has no stain, seems to kill all micro growth and stays clear and the temps are great. I'm not sure,it may just be some known brand antifreeze in a small bottle. I don't really measure I just poor until I get the green I like. I like the little bottle, easy to safely store. Used water wetter for awhile, nasty gunk(used way too much), then tube staining.

Attachments

• hyper lube.jpg
    hyper lube.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 305
I have to vote other... like some others here, I just use 50/50 antifreeze atm... when the time comes that I go to a tower from my rad (for coolness factor), I'll switch to straight distilled with biocide and an anticorrossive. my mom teaches chemistry, so I have access to some nice compounds ;) I also have a lot of elbows in my loop to prevent kinking, doesn't seem to affect my performance too much... keeps the system right at room temp. of course, the rad is a bar/plate tranny cooler for a 28,000 gross weight truck... my bro's a tranny tech, so I get nice access there too ;) ;) and a box fan on that...

um, so yeah. where was I? oh right, 50/50.

peace.

Back