• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you were to buy a new socket A platform, what would you buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

Pretty much just asking for opinions if you were to buy a new cpu/memory/heatsink/motherboard right now. I wanna try to get the most overclock on air, and good stability and features. This is what i'm thinking right now, but please make and comments or suggests that you want.

XP2500-M
Abit NF7-S
Thermalright SLK-947U
OCZ Platinum EB Dual-kit PC3500

I'm still kinda stuck on what kinda memory I should get. I want to be able to do 435-460 FSB with atleast 2-3-3-11 or tighter. I'm thinking either the EB PC3700, EB PC3500, or Corsair PC3200 Low latency/or XL. Thanks for help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, I think ill throw down $15 more for the SP-97. And I think the OCZ's Micron 5ns stuff beats out the BH-6 and Samsung TCCD, and in value.

Also is the xp2600-m worth extra 10 bucks, or is it pretty much the same overclock as xp2500-m?

ap673 said:
Also is the xp2600-m worth extra 10 bucks, or is it pretty much the same overclock as xp2500-m?

10 bucks isnt a huge difference, but I would imagine you would reach a similar overclock tho. I'm not 100% up to speed on the XPMs.

I've heard Muskin 2-2-2 Special isn't a super overclocker... correct me if I'm wrong though.

Very little difference if any btw 2500 and 2600. I see similar results everywhere.

Buy some Gooooood cooling for your system.

If you get the IQYHA 0351/2MPMW then it won't matter whether that's a 2500 or 2600, it'll overclock like mad, and in most cases better than any other stepping out there.
the chip that most frequently has this stepping tho is the 2600+

i would also say a DFI infinity. for some reason, with my setup, the Abit board wouldn't let me push past 205FSB even though my RAM was stable up to 237. DFI's fine though check sig. I'm at the max for my chip.

where can you still get a 351 MPMW??? I want one still.

Does newegg.com confirm steppings or not? So you're saying if I went with xp2600-m, i'd have a higher chance of getting a better stepping?

I still wanna go with the NF7-S though cuz of the soundstorm. And I hope this board can do 215-230, thats all I want.

Those are looking like the same setup I am hopfully doing for my next system. I am going with a 2500+mobile and an nf7-s only diffrence is I will be getting samsung ram 1 stick 512 then another when I can affor id. I was looking at pc2700 but was told not to get anything lower than 3200. And can someone clarify are the mobiles at new egg the super locked ones right now or are they the unlocked?

Rainz3 said:
Those are looking like the same setup I am hopfully doing for my next system. I am going with a 2500+mobile and an nf7-s only diffrence is I will be getting samsung ram 1 stick 512 then another when I can affor id. I was looking at pc2700 but was told not to get anything lower than 3200. And can someone clarify are the mobiles at new egg the super locked ones right now or are they the unlocked?

arent AMD mobiles always unlocked??? Ive been out of the loop a while, but i think that AMD mobiles are always unlocked because of some feature that they underclock by changing the multiplier to save battery life in laptops (where they are meant to belong).

Yeah, all the mobiles are unlocked.

I would go for the NF7-S, 2600XP-M and the SP-97. Haven't really been following memory lately, so can't help you there.

Hey Mustanley, did you get 430,410 core speeds on your 9800np with stock cooling?

I have a NF7-S, 2600+ XP-M, and SP-97, and I can get about 2.5ghz stable on air. 2.6ghz on my crappy chip requires too much voltage for aircooling to handle. I've got an AQYHA and I'll say it's not that great, although I don't think it'd be worth it for me to get an IQYHA and try to get an extra 100-200 mhz. I'm using a bad RAM choice, so I wouldn't recommend it, it's optimized for Intel chipsets :-/ OCZ EB is good stuff from what I hear.

Alrighty, i'm pretty much set on NF7-S, 2600, SP-97 and 2x256mb PC3700EB, thanks guys.

Is this a good stepping for the xp2600-m, AXMG2600FQQ4C, hehe I don't think thats even a stepping, but can anyone identify it?

ap673 said:
Hey Mustanley, did you get 430,410 core speeds on your 9800np with stock cooling?

I got 430MHz core with a 1u low profile copper cpu hsf. I can't remember what kind of clocks I managed with stock cooling as that was over a year ago. The card clocked at 410 core has stock cooling, however.

Back