• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

im an idiot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bennieboyq

Registered
hey boys....i got a really stupid question for ya....i feel like a doush....but thats ok....ummm i just bought a new heatsink for my p4 and am wonderin how to remove the old thermal paste...???? he he...on the cpu that is...and whats a good brand of thermal stuff...aritc sliver 3...thats what i am always hearin...well i feel like an idiot but hey i got to know...so thanks alot.....lil q

I usually use nail polish remover to get off the baked on thermal paste.

Also, I'm pretty sure ASII is better than 3, but they're basically the same and the best.

You can also use rubbing alcohol to clean off the cpu. Thats what I use.

*sratches head* either one...always better than the chunky soup white silicon crap. But yea id use rubbing alcohol and possibly a pen cap clip to scrap off an residue for the plastic wont gouge anything.

???

rubbing alcohol???

is that the name??? where can i get it???

what if i use 96º etilic alcohol??? i can't find pure acetone, i can only see crap with aloe and perfumes that a cpu wouldnt exactly like, but in the other hand, i found something that was acetone, demineralized water and some kind of herbal oil, but its not oily at all, in fact as soon as it touches my fingers it evaporates, with no perceptible oily residue, would if be okay to use this thingy to remove artic alumina???

ok ok ok ...well i think i have this one figured out...i will use nail polish to remove the bad bad stuff then some rubbin alchole to get all the lil stuff off...then put so as3 on the cpu and mount that heatsink right on there...how long do i have to wait for the as to dry....will i have to...ok well i think its wasy past bens bed time so i will tlak to you oc'ers tom...thanks for the thred...lil q

I just use dish washing detergent and dissolve the stuff then wipe it off with paper towel. Then a final wipe with lint free/anti-static cloth.

Re: ???

PhobMX said:
rubbing alcohol???

what if i use 96º etilic alcohol??? i can't find pure acetone, i can only see crap with aloe and perfumes that a cpu wouldnt exactly like, but in the other hand, i found something that was acetone, demineralized water and some kind of herbal oil, but its not oily at all, in fact as soon as it touches my fingers it evaporates, with no perceptible oily residue, would if be okay to use this thingy to remove artic alumina???

i always find some under the bathroom sink..

Re: ???

PhobMX said:
rubbing alcohol???

any auto paint or most auto parts stores carry acetone.the clean stuff that is

Rubbing alcohol is Isopropyl alcohol. You can get it at the drug store. Acetone is the active ingrediant in nail polish remover and will remove the gunk off your chip fast. But, be sure to thoroughly clean the acetone off with alcohol when you're done.

Back