• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm back, kind of.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

I finished off my Rosetta units on my Desktop and decided to resurrect FAH to see if I could help the team regain/retain position. I downloaded and installed the S/W from the FAH site, found my key, set up for Team 32 and I can see the folding app running. "The new Folding@home (FAH) software ..." is too old for Debian Buster which was released earlier this year. In fact, it uses Python 2.7 which has been deprecated and will no longer be supported after 2020. https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-issues/issues/1273 I can fold but I cannot control. :bang head

I see a mention of "Web Control" and I'll have to search their web site for that. Their web site is horrible for finding things but luckily is indexed by Google. Or I can use the CLI control application. I was hoping to explore folding on an AMD GPU but the difficulty with doing a basic install is leaving me a little irritated and not highly motivated to proceed.

OK, Web Control works, but it is basically good for start/stop and select a disease. I don't see a way to enable GPU folding.

It's predicting about 16K PPD but I'm still finishing off three Rosetta tasks.

maby others can better speak to this. but my understanding is that if your folding on the GPU's there isnt much benefit to running on linux. if oyu have a dual boot setup or something that can boot windows probably easier to just do that. if you cant then im not sure. linux isnt my strong suite. i can use the command line in it just well enough o get by. with the windows version it automatically assigns slots to the gpus.

Hank,

One copy of FAHControl running on any computer on your local network can be used to monitor/control/configure the FAH clients running on all the other hosts on your local network. Each FAH client will need to be configured for remote access and be added to the list of clients in FAHControl.

One copy of FAHControl running on any computer on your local network can be used to monitor/control/configure the FAH clients running on all the other hosts on your local network. Each FAH client will need to be configured for remote access and be added to the list of clients in FAHControl.

I may need to look into that if I get FAHControl running on something. I did just install FAHClient on an ancient PC from a previous age. ;) (AMD Phenom II X4 820) I installed w/out GUI and then plugged in my GTX-460. I have it running Debian 8 (Jessie) which is supported until some time next year. I did get GPU crunching running. That pulled in most of the X stuff so I'll probably go ahead and get a desktop environment running. Between the CPU and GPU cores they're only using about 10% of the available 4GB of installed RAM.

ATM the GPU seems not to be moving fast. CPU is over 11% and the GPU is at 0.14% :confused:

Back