• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm having the most ridiculous problem and I'm at my wits end. Need help badly.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yuckypants

I have two computers that both run Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit); one is a desktop, named UBERDESKTOP, and the other is a laptop, aptly named UBERLAPTOP.

The laptop was bought new with Windows 7 already installed (from Walmart), but it didn't come with a recovery disk, only a recovery partition. I recently had to recover it due to Windows errors, so it's still a fresh machine with only Windows Updates and other pertinent applications (Java, flash, etc.) I've already removed the bloatware.

Both computers connect to the internet and are in the same workgroup (WORKGROUP.) When I set up the homegroup, the desktop flawlessly connects to the laptop. I am able to view the shared libraries/folders and all is well. However, the laptop cannot connect to the desktop. It shows that a connection exists, but when I attempt to open a library or folder in the homegroup, nothing happens. (The homegroup troubleshooter is worthless and has not helped, I've tried.)

I've also disabled streaming within the homegroup, as I've read that it has been known to cause problems.

Homegroup settings:

Network Discovery: ON
File and Print sharing: ON
Sharing so anyone w/network access can read/write: ON
File sharing connections: 128 bit
Password protected sharing: off
Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections

Incidentally, both computers have the same username and password.

So I decided to try to share folders. Again, I can connect with the desktop, but not with the laptop. When I attempt to connect with the desktop, I get a prompt for a password, enter it (my username and password), and I get immediate access. However, my laptop gives the error: "Logon failure; unknown username or bad password."

Here's the kicker - it will work in two scenarios. It will work when the laptop is in safe mode and it will work once the laptop first boots into Windows, so I'm led to believe it's either a driver or a piece of software that's inhibiting it.

Things I've tried:

Updating the NIC driver on the laptop
Changing domains
Using different usernames and passwords
Using no passwords
Laptop Safe mode (this works)
Not using wireless
Enabling file sharing for 40 or 56 bit encryption
Turning off media streaming
Deleting and re-creating the homegroup
Added DWORD value called LmCompatibilityLevel to HKLM|System|CurrentControlSet|Control|Lsa (value 2), per a post found in these forums

Could there be something else I'm missing? Oh - and I've owned this laptop for over 2 years and I've always had an issue with the homegroup, but never with shared folders.

I should add that there's no access to the group policy with Windows 7 Home, so the DWORD value is supposed to rectify that.

I'm sure there's a million more things I can type here, but this is getting a little long winded.

Quick google search turned this up

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/138311-Win-7-sees-but-can-t-open-XP-folders

Victory!

Using msconfig, I disabled all but basic startup items, rebooted, and Win 7 could open XP folders just fine. Took only a couple of restarts, adding back items I trusted each time, to identify the culprits: two services from my backup software--True Image Home 10--the Acronis Scheduler2 Service and Nonstop Backup Service. When I enabled everything except those two and rebooted, Win 7 opened XP folders and I leaped to my feet and cheered.

So...arcane, but not unique, as I learned when I looked for info on those services. Many folk have been tripped up by this. Also, turns out there's a way to get the services to run without interfering with networking (http://winhlp.com/node/40), so I don't have to uninstall True Image, which I use regularly.

Big Lesson: I was daunted by "clean" booting, having never been down that road before, but it was very easy and kind of intuitive. (Also, the Freebits article that Deadeye81 pointed me to was a good guide.)

Thanks everyone!

So, I thought I figured it out, but it was just a delayed result. After about 30 seconds, it was inaccessible again. I disabled EVERY single startup item and it still persists.

I disabled a few non-microsoft services and there is no change.

So as I see it, there are 2 options.
  • Disable every single service (with the exception of wireless zero config (or whatever it's called.))
  • Update every single driver that doesn't run at safe mode.

I will also reboot into safe mode and stay there longer - just in case the problem will come back.

So, I thought I figured it out, but it was just a delayed result. After about 30 seconds, it was inaccessible again. I disabled EVERY single startup item and it still persists.

I disabled a few non-microsoft services and there is no change.

So as I see it, there are 2 options.
  • Disable every single service (with the exception of wireless zero config (or whatever it's called.))
  • Update every single driver that doesn't run at safe mode.

I will also reboot into safe mode and stay there longer - just in case the problem will come back.

Wireless you say? have you tried verifying its not your router / NIC?

Yes. 3rd thing I tried. I knew I was forgetting pertinent information related to this issue.

Unfortunately, problem still persists.

So I performed a clean install.

I was up until 3am, and after each update I checked it out. Now it's not working. The ONLY thing I installed were updates, so it's obviously something Microsoft did. .net framework 4 was one of the last things installed, so I guess I'm going to start uninstalling and testing for connectivity.

This is insane. I would've never found it otherwise.

Back