• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm Hoping Denab IS Good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/23/yule-deneb

Just saw this and it should be out for Decemeber I was just going to buy a X4 this week as some local PC shop near me is having a sale but I am now thinking I'll wait see what these chips do.

I've already bought my MSI 790FX board http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=751118 and I've just sent off for a Raptor drive and Gainward 4850 512mb PCI-E Card. So can't wait till I put it together I've already got a buyer for my rig below I've sold it for £250 but I've added a new DVD-RW, casing & PSU also a new cooler to the 6600GT.

Last edited:
I just waiting on for a full line of sb750 board to be released so I can get a 9950 as they are doing really good ATM. I would also wait on the denab if I didn't already have a x4 but seeing as I like it's performance so I think waiting would be putting it about 3-5 months before I did anything else with my current system...

At the very least test that mobo of yours before you run out of time for the RMA process or whatever from where you got it from. Alot of times you can pay a small fee and a local shop will power the board up and do some stress testing on it for ya.

Similar to Q6700 - > Q9450? In terms of performance, I say not alot of difference. But TDP + Power usage should drop, and also OC might improve.

Rumor is a die shrink, increased clock speeds and jump from 2MB to 6MB L3 Cache. The cache alone should make at least some clock-for-clock improvement, albeit perhaps not much. The move to 45nm, as Badbonji said, should decrease power consumption and TDP and therefore increase overclockability. Historically, a die shrink always makes it easier to OC. Also, they're launching with higher clock speeds than current chips, so that leads me to believe they have a higher OC potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see these chips hitting 3.4GHz without too much effort. What I'm really excited about are the Athlon X2 "Regor" processors...

I also can't wait for deneb to hit the shelves.

I don't think it will be massive improvements but I think it will be worth the upgrade.

I do find myself wondering about how much of a difference there will be between the AM2+ and AM3 platforms. Other than potentially better chipsets I am wondering how much of a difference DDR3 memory will make over DDR2 in regards to total system performance.

I guess I will wait and see if it is worth it to me to upgrade board and mem along with a proc or if the difference will be small enough that just upgrading the proc is all ill go for. Well i'm hoping that this board will support the denebs when they come out, if it requires me to buy another board I think ill be waiting for the whole AM3 package. It is an asus board so I remain hopeful that they will release any bios updates if that is what is needed (much like the transition between AM2 and AM2+).

I know one thing for sure, these chips can't get here fast enough.

I think throwing numbers like that around is a little dangerous since we really don't know anything for sure about the processor. All we know is what few facts have leaked about the actual specifications/features of the processor and even those aren't official and could be wrong. All we really KNOW is that it will be a 45nm processor. Its speculation, although expected, that it will have lower temps and power consumption. In the past, that means higher clocks should be attainable. We have seen leaked info stating the L3 Cache is going to go from 2MB to 6MB. This should have SOME impact on performance, but its difficult to say how much. Since nobody really has one of these things (unless you consider expreview to be a credible source), nobody knows. If you go on expreview's results HERE, a 3.48GHz Deneb barely broke 20s in a 1M SuperPi test. Take a look at THIS listing and draw your own conclusions... doesn't look too good to me...

On the other hand, THIS shows that it has about a 200MHz advantage over Agena... 3.4GHz Deneb = 3.6GHz Agena

Last edited:
Back