• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm never buying a x800 again........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have never removed the shim (or metal plate as i call it) so it is possible that the cooler didn't touch the gpu properly but i would like to add that both cards died while playing doom 3 but the temp reading in ati tool never went higher than 60 at any time and this is not high enough to fry the card. I didnt want to remove the shim because i was afraid I would brake the card.

Twister1234 said:
hm-less juice then a 9800xt oO-didnt expect that^^

Yeah its nuts. Well yeah man I cxna see why you are pissed. Perhaps in the future you can give ATI a try again but really Power Colour is to blame. They've always sucked. My first and last PC was a 9200 SE for my bro. It artifacted at stock with a fancard pointed at it. :bang head

You have to remember that however popular VGA silencers are, and however popular pipemodding is, neither is promoted or supported in any way by any video card manufacturer.

As soon as you modify your hardware, you take a risk. Weighing that risk is part of the game; you can't work on a card without being open minded to the fact that something may well go wrong, and leave you $300 in the hole.

All of us have had some hardware tragedy or another, some more expensive than others - I feel very sorry for you, and feel your loss. But I also think that it's unfair for you to hate on the manufacturer of your hardware, when it was likely your modifications which in part caused the damage.

Well i wouldn't call changing the fan exactly modifieding the card but I see what you are all saying I think I'll buy a his card next time they come with the arctic cooling on as standard.

Yeah, I would get the card and play some games using it how it comes from the factory and see how it is. Basically, just make sure it works fine before you mess with it.

L337 M33P said:
So, let me get this straight - you are mad at powercolor because you have had 2 cards die, one of which you attached a honkin great heatsink to, the other you forced the card to use the 4 disabled pipes.

Ever think that a) the heatsink may have damaged the first card and b) the pipelines were closed because they were broken? Never mind the fact that Doom3 is the most graphically stressful game for a card with many people reporting higher than average temperatures.

sorry but I have to agree with him. theres a reason why 4 pipes were disabled, you are not the only one, I have heard from dozens of others who opened the 4 slightly bad pipes and their card died a month or a few months later. The pipes were good enough to work but not good enough to last long. also blame doom3, it has been known to kill some cards at stock, especially ati cards for some reason. One guy had his 9800xt that wouldnt run doom3 stock then it died a week later. He never oced, never modded

Well i've now got a 3d connect x800 pro this is a bog standard pro its not a vivo or xt in disguise so no o/c for me and i'm not changing to a vga silencer so it will be interesting to see how long this lasts at stock. So I think I'll have to change the title of this post to OK so i've got another x800pro............

MAN lol seems like u have bad luck (srry bout the cards man...)...but i have had GREAT luck with ati...and even PC cards......any way as said those 4 pipes were off for a reason...and you might want to look into the VGA silencer thing...(do you still have the cards check the thermal paste to see if there was contact if you still have them...)

excellent powercolour x800 Pr0 ==> x800 xt pe here. hot as hell (81deg in doom3).

There's alot of factors that could have killed ur cards - bad pipes, static, cracked core, poor knowledge by user etc.

Unfortunately thats the chance u take with overclocking/modifying.

I'm pretty sure now I know why they died I think it was my vga silencer didnt fit 100% it's a version 3 and its designed for the 9700 + 9800 pro cards. so I think because i didnt take of the shim contact on the core was not perfect and while playing doom 3 they got to hot, this is the only explanation i can think of.

bigswede2 said:
yes i understand that, its not that that has anoyed me its the fact that both cards died at stock speeds and without any hard modding or anything else that could of caused the cards to fail, my point is that nvidia cards probably wont fail so easily and so soon. and both cards were rma'd to powercolor.

Bottom line is YOU modded the card beyond specifications - how do you know what YOU did did not affect the card? Just ebcause it ran fine for X time doesnt mean it was safe.

changing the pipes to get more - that card was not made for that - why not get a RMA card and dont touch it dont mod it, dont O/C it, dont do anything and see if it dies.

I am sure the hundred's possibly thousands of other people with the same card as you arent having the same problem......

I've now got a 3d connect x800 pro and I'm not going to do a dame thing to it, it still runs doom 3 really well so i'm going to leave well alone (this time)

apu318 said:
I dont hate to say it. Powercolour is the WORST company ever. if you look around on the net hard enough, youll find an article of a powercolour 9600XT catching FIRE IN the case.

Do you remember how? Just rapid overheating, from overclocking?

yeah i love ati. and i love celestica. my old 9200se was a celestica gold edition, so is my 9600xt haha.

my old nvidia vanta broke down on my after like 3 months. and i got it from a prebuilt place too.

now i just hope my new 9600xt oc doesn't screw my card over.

the company i brought the card from contacted me today and said they will replace my fried x800pro card even though i had opened up the extra 4 pipes, dont ask me why I didnt ask them I just said thank you very much. Lets hope they send me xt in disguise again.

We can all understand that your upset, hell i would be, but there still quality cards.

If you still want a x800, just spend the bit extra, and get a XTPE, Asus ATi or Sappphire. I lvoe my card, i think it totally rocks. The agan i haven't tamperd with it! :p

Back