• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i'm new to overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slotty76

Registered
I have an abit ic7-g maxII board with 4 gig of hyperx pc 3200 ddr400 184 pin, prescott 3.0 800 mhz fsb 1m l2 , corsair 750 watt psu, evga geforce 7300 gt ddr2 512 mb agp 8x, xclio wind tunnel case, zallman cpu cooler :bang head probably leaving out important info???
anyway i tried some things i've read and every time i try to overclock it i get instability. mainly when i run graphics (hd video and games). I have to reset cmos at times and so on.
i dont fully understand the features of the board.
I could use some tips.
Thanks in adv.

Last edited:
First off, :welcome: to the forums if it hasn't been said yet.

I'll take the first guess on this one. Have you locked your PCI/AGP speed yet? Set it to 33mhz in the BIOS. If you haven't, it will scale with your FSB and most definitely lead to instability.

First off, :welcome: to the forums if it hasn't been said yet.

I'll take the first guess on this one. Have you locked your PCI/AGP speed yet? Set it to 33mhz in the BIOS. If you haven't, it will scale with your FSB and most definitely lead to instability.

Yes 66/33
dram? ratio 5:4 3:2 1:1 ??
had fsb up to 250 3.750mhz not too unstable with 3:2 ratio

core voltage 3.4625

ram 2.5 7 3 3 best so far but graphics seem like they fall behind?

Last edited:
Yes 66/33
not sure of bootstrap? ratio 5:4 3:2 1:1 ??
had fsb up to 250 3.750mhz not too unstable with 3:2 ratio

core voltage 3.4625

ram 2.5 7 3 3 best so far but graphics seem like they fall behind?

It is best to overclock one component of your setup at a time. You should probably stick to the 1:1 setting for now until you know your CPU is stable. The 3:2 ratio would put your RAM at 375mhz which would probably exceed any hope of stability for them.

You'll be lucky to get DDR 400 to DDR2 550-600 speeds, which would be a 1:1 ratio with a FSB of 275-300.

Actually, some of the folks in here might be thinking of the "new" systems when they're looking at your 3:2 divider. In realty, you want to use that 3:2 divider as that will allow your memory to run at 333DDR (166Mhz) when your bus is at 250Mhz.

So, let's do this first:

Keep your voltage stock for everything. Set your AGP lock to 66mhz. Set your memory divider to the 3:2 setting. And now turn your FSB up from 200 to 210. If it boots, do some testing -- memtest for at least one full pass, then two simultaneous sessions of Prime95 using the "Small FFT's" setting for at least 30 minutes. If it lived, go back in and set your FSB to 220 and do it all exactly the same way over again.

Those pressies should do something between 210 and 220 FSB without having to touch the voltage. Once you find instability at stock voltage, then up the CPU voltage by ONE notch and try again. Don't go in big huge jumps, because you run the risk of feeding it more voltage than it needs -- which can also make it unstable.

And keep an eye on your temperatures, as those puppies get VERY hot when you start adding voltage. Once you think you have a stable overclock, run Memtest for a good solid few hours, and once that's done, run two sessions of Prime95 at the Small FFT setting for at least six hours, twelve is better, twenty four is best. You'll soon discover that the volts and temps you use and see at the 30-minute increments are not the same as the ones you'll see for six hours worth of stability :)

Actually, some of the folks in here might be thinking of the "new" systems when they're looking at your 3:2 divider. In realty, you want to use that 3:2 divider as that will allow your memory to run at 333DDR (166Mhz) when your bus is at 250Mhz.

So, let's do this first:

Keep your voltage stock for everything. Set your AGP lock to 66mhz. Set your memory divider to the 3:2 setting. And now turn your FSB up from 200 to 210. If it boots, do some testing -- memtest for at least one full pass, then two simultaneous sessions of Prime95 using the "Small FFT's" setting for at least 30 minutes. If it lived, go back in and set your FSB to 220 and do it all exactly the same way over again.

Those pressies should do something between 210 and 220 FSB without having to touch the voltage. Once you find instability at stock voltage, then up the CPU voltage by ONE notch and try again. Don't go in big huge jumps, because you run the risk of feeding it more voltage than it needs -- which can also make it unstable.

And keep an eye on your temperatures, as those puppies get VERY hot when you start adding voltage. Once you think you have a stable overclock, run Memtest for a good solid few hours, and once that's done, run two sessions of Prime95 at the Small FFT setting for at least six hours, twelve is better, twenty four is best. You'll soon discover that the volts and temps you use and see at the 30-minute increments are not the same as the ones you'll see for six hours worth of stability :)

Thanks.
I'm installing my new o.s. (windows pro media center edition 2005) tonight so I wont get to it now but tomorrow sounds like a winner.
Is this going to corrupt my hard drive ?? Oh well I guess lol:eek:

should everything else be set to auto?
N/B strap CPU AS auto or PSB 800 ? or auto? I usually see everyone else st this to 800

advanced chipset:

command per clock disabled or auto?

read delay adjustment (TRDA) disabled or auto?

these options are verry unclear to me as to what their purpose is:beer:

Last edited:
having trouble

after overclocking my pc started shuting down under load when graphics and processor tests were conducted.
I reset everything to stock and still shutting down. now what :bang head

It sounds to me like you are rushing this too much. I say this based on your posting dates and what you said you are testing. I did the same when I first started(2 months ago). You want to read and read and read all the stickies and information you can find. Focus on your CPU first, it seriously can take weeks depending on your goal and free time. then move to the ram or graphics card(s). As far as it resetting at stock now, your ram may be the problem at this point. Try running memtest on it on another computer if you can.

If I'm wrong in any way, somebody please jump in and correct me. (Still learning myself)

thanks i'll try it. it just so happens that i have 2 verry similar pc's one with a fixed bios and one that can be changed both pc3200 184pin
both have p4 3.0 ghz 1 with a northwood and one with presscott
both have agp 8x invidia cards one being a cheapo fx5500 and the other evga 7300gt

Back