• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm noticing a lot of products for liquid cooling, I know they've been around

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

I have a few simple questions,

For general computing without gaming is it worth putting the money into a Liquid cooling system ?

How would you rate this cooling system, Corsair H100i Extreme Performance AIO Cooler ?

Worth it is up to you. It can be quieter than some air coolers. But if you dont use your PC for anything heavy, I'd say no.

H100i is solid. I think a gen or two older.

You pay with noise for every bit of cooling you get. If you can get by with an NH-D15, then go for it. The AIO's all cool well; they just make noise doing it.

I like AIO cooling because it clears up space in the interior of the case and makes it easier to work on stuff. And you can control noise by controlling fan speed.

I used to swear by AIOs, but not anymore.. not that I had a bad experience. If you already have a D15 then save your cash.

I used to swear by AIOs, but not anymore.. not that I had a bad experience. If you already have a D15 then save your cash.

Sorry but you're speaking Greek to me, I have no idea what AIO D or D15 Means, and as I said I have to upgrade so it's not a matter of saving My money it's her matter of finding the right card.

I have a chance to buy this one used I realize it's an older card but I'm wondering what you people think about it.

EVGA Superclocked NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 (Maxwell)

Sorry but you're speaking Greek to me, I have no idea what AIO D or D15 Means, and as I said I have to upgrade so it's not a matter of saving My money it's her matter of finding the right card.

I have a chance to buy this one used I realize it's an older card but I'm wondering what you people think about it.

EVGA Superclocked NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 (Maxwell)

Sorry, I must have got my posts confused, not sure what happened there.. ugh.

Sorry but you're speaking Greek to me, I have no idea what AIO D or D15 Means . . .

AIO = a type of cooler, an all-in-one water-cooling system that uses a pump, a radiator and fans to keep a CPU cool.
D15 = NH-D15, a heatsink by Noctua that beats all other non-water systems.

Before I retired, I reviewed heatsinks for Overclockers. The only heatsink that matches the D15 is the NH-D14 -- but that heatsink is EOL. They still make it, but good luck finding one; and still you would have to fit it with modern fans (reviewed here, along with the D15: https://www.overclockers.com/noctua-nh-d14-redux-modern-fans-on-an-old-heatsink/).

AIO= "All In One". It refers to a liquid cooler already assembled and filled with liquid from the factory. Self-contained liquid cooler, not having to purchase the parts individually.

AIO is actually quite a generic term and doesn't specifically refer to coolers. CLC on the other hand, refers specifically to a Closed Loop Cooler. Many users, in particular outside of here, refer to AIOs as the AIO pcs and have no idea there are coolers. LCS is another term (Liquid Cooling System) we've heard...

https://www.evga.com/articles/01081/evga-clc-liquid-cpu-cooler/

It's splitting hairs, I get it and companies use both...both can be used, but, you know me.. why hit the dart board and call it good when you can hit the bullseye. :rofl:

Before I retired, I reviewed heatsinks for Overclockers. The only heatsink that matches the D15 is the NH-D14 -- but that heatsink is EOL. They still make it, but good luck finding one; and still you would have to fit it with modern fans (reviewed here, along with the D15: https://www.overclockers.com/noctua-nh-d14-redux-modern-fans-on-an-old-heatsink/).

According to this review, Le Grand Macho RT does match it : https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermalright/Le_Grand_Macho/6.html

Its an excellent cooler, I was using an H100 with 120x38 Panaflos before that. On my main rig I am using True Spirit 140 Power, which is slightly better than LGMRT, rated at 360w vs 320w of LGMRT. I am also using TY-143 fan as well, which spools up 1100rpm more than TY-147A/B for 130cfm vs 75cfm or so for the 147 A/B. Just food for thought, people love Noctua for good reason, but there is worthy competition to them.

The problem with all TR heatsinks is the convexity of their contact surfaces and the excessive clamping pressures applied by their mounts. My compliments to whoever can review them.

Edit: I have just read the post at the other end of your link. You will notice that the two run neck and neck. Then as temps increase the D15 begins to pull ahead. My test system is AVX2, with temps running in the 80C range (20 + 60 = 80). This is where the Noctua heatsinls do their best work.

Last edited:
with them packing so much onto the cpu die, I don't see a reason for all in one liquid coolers, just top end air, it will match and beat most anything less than a solid 3x120 cooler and beyond that you have to go to a 4x180 or 9x120 to get anywhere.
the blocks just can't move a lot more heat off such a small surface area. For ambient liquid cooling we need larger dies or direct liquid contact with the "slug".
soldering the ihs helps, but there is only so much that helps, I run all the cpus I can neked but I don't see people new to the game wanting to nudify their shiny, new $300 chip risking killing it.

It's confusing enough trying to decide the card from all the different input, I think I'm going to go with the gigabyte but all this cooler conversation got Mixed into this thread and just made it a little bit confusing. Maybe Moving all the cooler posts to a new thread might help

what card? I just read back through the thread, no card.

It was my mistake, I have a thread asking about a graphics card, I also had a thread that I asked one question about a cooler and somehow I posted something about the card here where it should've been in the other one. I just followed my email notification and wasn't paying attention to what thread I was posting in sorry.

your first post didnt mention the gpu. so all of the posts since that have been about the original question about lcs and aio. it wasnt until your next post that you made mention of the 970. do you have more than one post going Eagle?
nvm

I checked all three of my TR bases, they aren’t convex. My square showed about .005” of light, not bad at all. Here is another review https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7986/thermalright-le-grand-macho-rt-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

I had a D14 which is better than a d15? My ultra 120 extreme was a bit better than my old d14 which is why I sold it. Not trying to argue, just saying Noctua isn’t the be all end all like people think. I wish there was a test between true spirit 140 power and d15. Maybe I’ll buy one to test out for myself.

I think some of the cooler manufactures purposely created a convex base to better fit the CPU IHS which is slightly concave. If you've ever lapped an Intel IHS you will remember the copper underneath the nickel coating starts to show through first at the corners.

Back