• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm noticing a lot of products for liquid cooling, I know they've been around

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I checked all three of my TR bases, they aren’t convex. My square showed about .005” of light, not bad at all. Here is another review https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7986/thermalright-le-grand-macho-rt-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

I had a D14 which is better than a d15? My ultra 120 extreme was a bit better than my old d14 which is why I sold it. Not trying to argue, just saying Noctua isn’t the be all end all like people think. I wish there was a test between true spirit 140 power and d15. Maybe I’ll buy one to test out for myself.

Can't argue with data. I'm glad that your TR heatsinks have not been significantly convex.

Its like Trents said, they should be a little convex, because your ihs is a little concave. And for certain sockets, you get a shim so you don't crush your ihs. Either way, buy what makes you happy. Mine weren't too bad, .005-.010" maybe a tad more. Definitely less then a mm. Sorry about imperial and metric, I use them both at work.

Your temps will tell you if you need more enhanced cooling. If you're just browsing the web and typing up a paper then probably not. I use PLEX heavily and when it analyzes my movies/tv shows overnight my CPU hits 100% load for 6 hours so I went w/ the Corsair H115i Extreme AIO and I did delid my 8700k giving me 5GHz at 77°C max temps during that process.

I think some of the cooler manufactures purposely created a convex base to better fit the CPU IHS which is slightly concave. If you've ever lapped an Intel IHS you will remember the copper underneath the nickel coating starts to show through first at the corners.

Thanks for all your replies, I don't think I'm going to have to do any extra cooling the new case I just bought has a total of six fans and it plus I have a heatsink that I'm in or attached my CPU, I don't do anything really taxing on my system so there's no need for me to go into any extreme cooling I appreciate all your replies.

Back