• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm really freaking out about memory choice.l.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

So, I already bought my PSU (Corsair RM750x) and case (Phanteks P350x), and have a 3600x, x570 TUF Gaming mobo, SX8200 pro in my cart for a new build, this is going to be my system for a long while to come (current system in sig).

But reading about memory is really annoying, there is so much info out there and man I don't want to get a stick that won't run.

So, I love the way the Corsair looks because it's just a low profile old style mem stick, I don't need flair. But now there are two types, CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 and CMK32GX4M2Z3200C16, but not only that, there are also all kinds of posts about version 4.xx and 5.xx, with the former being Samsung and apparently the way to go and the latter being sucky.

But then everyone who talks about this has Ryzen 1st gen, so I ask you here, on a x570 Ryzen2, do I have to worry about compatibility and hitting the stated speeds of mem? If I have to, I will get G Skill or whatever else (let me know) at a small increase, but I really just want the LPX from Corsair.

Also, I have been running 8GB for years now, but is 2x8GB enough? I could just get 2x16GB, it's within budget, but again, the only affordable sticks are Corsair.

Finally, I was told that 3600Mhz Corsair all have Samsung b-die, but then again, all posts about that are 2 years old.

OMFG!

Corsair is using all available IC that fit their XMP profiles. Vengeance LPX are pretty much the worst series right now. You can find there everything, including Spectek.
Samsung is good and Micron too. Hynix probably will be better but current memory kits are based on not the best IC.

Probably everything from Corsair 3000-3200 CL16 from Vengeance RGB/Dominator RGB will be on Hynix IC. 3200 CL14 kits will be on Samsung. Everything up to 3600 at relaxed timings like CL18-19 will be on Hynix or Spectek with exception of Dominator RGB which can be on Samsung in 3600 CL18 kit ( there are reviews around the web).

Ballistix 3200 CL16 and 3600 CL16 will be on quite well overclocking Micron E. They are working on all motherboards.

All memory kits at 3600+ CL16 or tighter, will be using Samsung B IC with one exception, Ballistix Elite 3600 CL16 which is based on Micron E.
In short, if you want Samsung B then look for 3200 14-14-14 or 3600 16-16-16 or 4000+ memory kits as only Samsung B fits these XMP settings.

16GB is more than enough for most users. With current prices can get 2x16GB but will be hard to find anything good on Samsung IC in reasonable price.

You're freaking out for no reason. It's all good. Take a deep breath and step away from the ledge.

The Corsair you listed (CMK32GX4M2Z3200C16) are on the QVL for that motherboard. It has micron chip but that not a bad thing unless you're trying to set world records. (Actually, I'm pretty sure I just read Micron may have surpassed Samsung. I digress) If these are the ram you like I would get them and try and clock them to 3600. You might just need to loosen the timings a bit (like 3600 17-18-18-36 1.35V or something similar).

16 or 32Gb will be completely dependent on your needs. We all have different needs. What are yours?

Well, these two responses are a paradox, I believe I'm even more confused. I read the first and immediately went on Amazon to look for other ram, but then read the second and, as I said, I only want ram to run at the specs and speed it's rated for. I don't need it at 3600Mhz, I want it to run at 1.35V on my Ryzen2 platform at 16-18-18-35 3200Mhz, and that's it, all the time, without error (the voltage I can up if needbe, by a bit).

Where you're going, we don't need roads...........

Sorry, Back to the Future flashback there... :rofl:

All you need is something on the QVL that is rated to do what you want. You don't overclock so really you don't care what memory chips are under the hood... that is irrelevant to you and I can see why it is confusing... TMI. :)

I want it to run at 1.35V on my Ryzen2 platform at 16-18-18-35 3200Mhz, and that's it, all the time, without error (the voltage I can up if needbe, by a bit).

Fine then get the LPX memory. I don't understand where there's a problem or where you are getting confused.

Also, Blaylock's suggestion is really really great!! Ryzen processors gain a decent bump in performance running faster memory speeds.

So Corsair LPX 3600 would nicely do 3200mhz, likely OC to mem rated 3600mhz and 16GB will cost you an entire 100$ from newegg. You'll have the memory you desire and available O.C. for that performance boost.......

You have no issues other than overthinking all this.

If you aren't going to OC your memory, pick the 3600 MHz from the QVL with the tightest timings. Work backwards on timings to fit your budget. That's the speed sweet spot for Ryzen 2. 3200 MHz probably won't give you any noticeable loss in performance on your rig, but if you can swing the 3600 MHz, why not? Samsung B dies are "good", they're why I bought the memory I did, but if you don't plan to squeeze an extra 700+ MHz out of your RAM it's an expense you don't need. The speed and timings are what counts. At the same speeds/timings you can't tell one from the other because the JEDEC standard dictates what those numbers will mean regardless of whose bits are on the PCB.

If budget isn't an issue, get the "good" stuff from G. Skill for the warranty and have the option to OC later. With RAM prices where they are right now, though, I'd just get what I want out of the box and plug n' play. Overclocking memory is not for the faint of heart or those with ADD. LOL

Fine then get the LPX memory. I don't understand where there's a problem or where you are getting confused.

Also, Blaylock's suggestion is really really great!! Ryzen processors gain a decent bump in performance running faster memory speeds.

So Corsair LPX 3600 would nicely do 3200mhz, likely OC to mem rated 3600mhz and 16GB will cost you an entire 100$ from newegg. You'll have the memory you desire and available O.C. for that performance boost.......

You have no issues other than overthinking all this.

Everything I've seen has only shown 1%-2% performance improvement from Zen2 going from 3200MHz to 3600MHz. Timings seem to almost make more difference though. Check out this

16GB should be plenty for gaming and light productivity. Heavy video editing would benefit from 32+, but also wouldn't really be appropriate for a 3600x either.

Sry if this is a silly question.

Do these boards and cpus post 3200 mem clk at default???

Pretty sure that depends on the board.

My ASUS ROG STRIX B450i (Gen+) boots my 3200 ram to 2666. My cpu is 3700x but I don't believe that matters for default ram clocks.

So the 2666 is not an XMP profile.
Would see 1-2% increase from 2666 to 3200 and then another 1-2% to 3600 oc.
Or something there abouts correct??

Edit. I have the same board as you Blaylock, but lack the 3000 series processor, so thats why Im asking fyi.

Iirc my Ryzen Athlon 200GE (1st Gen) that I used for initial BIOS flashing also booted to 2666.

Iirc my Ryzen Athlon 200GE (1st Gen) that I used for initial BIOS flashing also booted to 2666.

I actually have the 220ge processor installed in the ROG B450-I but off my head I cannot recall what frequency it was at, Had set it up for some F@H getting some GPU WUs done to get a PR on the team I'm currently folding for.
So next time, probably later this evening Central time, I'll fire up the rig with some Corsair LPX 3000 sticks and see what's what there. (I gotta check bios revision also)

My B450M-A and 2700X do not post at 2666, it's lower for sure. But is the speed I choose to run at with the LPX sticks. (latest bios). Squeezed up to c14-13-13-13-x-x 1T (the x-x varies as it's stable where-ever for the most part) But currently running those timings at 1.35v. Could lower that, but the sticks don't seem to mind it, run cool and all.

What is yet peculiar to me, is that my 1400 and Asus Prime A320 can run the memory in excess of 3000Mhz no issues, super stable. This was a bundle build like the B450M-A and 2700X where this also came with Corsair LPX sticks believe they are 3000 too, but would have to look again to confirm. This is the family HTPC/GAMER sporting nothing more than a Radeon 6950. It did have a GTX 770 at one point, but the kids don't play much anything heavy.

Perhaps I can help throw some figures up as he's interested in the same or similar memory modules.

UPDATE:

I did some testing on that 220ge rig with 2 separate bios revisions as you'll see depicted.

Only boots 1066 (effective) at stock with a 1201 bios and a 2501 bios. I have to manually set anything higher obviously.

220ge 1201 bios default memory 1066.png 220ge 2501 bios default memory 1066.png

Back