• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm Stumped, no post, upgraded mobo/cpu/ram/psu still no post ack!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homebuildit

This is not good. Need this computer working again.

History:
built from scratch in 2010, overclocked very successfully with the help of this site, thanks all.

This week I swapped it into a new case to quiet it. Power up and the lights are on but nobody home. No post, it just keeps cycling off/on/off/on. Swapped all back into my old Antec case, still same problem.

So I figured likely mobo or cpu got damaged in the swap over. So instead of replacing lga1366 stuff I'd bite the financial bullet and upgrade to current. Got myself a new 8700k and Aorus gaming 7 plus 2 x 8gb gskills.

Powered up, same thing! Noooo!

So then I decided it must be the PSU, only thing left to be the problem. Just bought a new corsair 850W. Power up, still same problem! Ack! Ok so I'm a grand in now and I still have no working desktop, yikes!

Anyone that can help me solve this I'll be so thankful.

Jay

Last edited:
More info...
corsair 115i cooler
msi gtx970

when swapped old hw back to old case, still had the same problem.

Last edited:
Take mb out of case place on mb box , only connect GPU 1stick of ram and PSU . Can you get into bios?

Are you sure you plugged in the PW and reset switchable right ? If you jump with a screw driver does it boot?

Can you test the monitor and cable on a different working system?

tried multiple monitors dvi/hdmi cables, no luck

jump with screwdriver what exactly, the power switch - to +?

I'll have to try again with no peripherals. Shouldn't it post with no ram/gpu installed? Even if no GPU shouldn't it start and stay on? It just keeps cycling on/off/on/off, that's with 2 dif monitors, 2 dif cases, 2 dif psu's 2 dif mobo/cpu/ram combos. Obviously I must be doing something wrong, just not seeing it.

Last edited:
It won't post without RAM. You should get a RAM Bad or Missing beep if you try. (do you have a speaker connected?)

It will post without a GPU card provided the CPU has iGPU. If not, you need the GPU with its 6 or 8 pin cables connected.

tried multiple monitors dvi/hdmi cables, no luck

jump with screwdriver what exactly, the power switch - to +?

I'll have to try again with no peripherals. Shouldn't it post with no ram/gpu installed? Even if no GPU shouldn't it start and stay on? It just keeps cycling on/off/on/off, that's with 2 dif monitors, 2 dif cases, 2 dif psu's 2 dif mobo/cpu/ram combos. Obviously I must be doing something wrong, just not seeing it.

The 2 pins that the plug from the power switch connects
jump.jpg

I think there is a problem with the switch on the case because it is the only common part . You didn't have this issue with the old system Till the new case .

But no, before I tried buying the new hw I swapped all the old hw back into the old case and it had the problem still.

Sounds like not possible, but that is what is happening.

Voltage on the back of the PSU is set to the right voltage for your area ? 120/240 ( im just tossing out ideas here )

Is the Plug/power bar/ups that you are using working right ? (test without)
If pluged in else where same symptoms ?
Is there any common part that you are using between the 2 systems? that you haven't eliminated
Do you have a DMM ? that you can check the voltage out put from the psu ? ( to jump the psu use the green wire with the black on the 24 pin plug )
Can you check the socket for bent pins?

It could be coincidence in that there were different issues with the old build and the new build. Not necessarily the same problem with both builds.

I would check and make sure your water cooling block's back plate is not grounding out out against the underside of the motherboard or that the tensioner screws of the water block are not putting uneven pressure on the socket. I would also remove the CPU and examine the socket pins under a bright light to check for bent or broken pins.

Also, in these situations it's always a good idea to take the essential components out of the case and put together a barebones build on a table top where there is no possibility of something grounding out against the case.

Without GPU sure I can't see post but does it still post? If problem is GPU I can't tell without a new GPU?

I'm debating what to try next.

I have a fully assembled newest tech with on-board gpu with no love

I have a my old setup with no cooler on it with now suspect GTX970.

But if it's the GPU would it keep resetting or would it post but no display due to no GPU?

With a bad GPU, you could get either. No post for sure, but you could also get power cycling.

What if I try with no cooler on CPU for half a minute? Should it work? Will it burn out the CPU in 1/5/10 minutes? Instant burnout? I don't want to keep repasting my CPU.

- - - Updated - - -

Focusing on the new system, I have an HDMI cable from the onbaord GPU to monitor, still same result.

Seems like that rules out the gpu on the other setup as the problem. Not necessarily but seems unlikely.

- - - Updated - - -

Focusing on the new system, I have an HDMI cable from the onbaord GPU to monitor, still same result.

Seems like that rules out the gpu on the other setup as the problem. Not necessarily but seems unlikely.

As above, have you assembled the components on a non-conductive surface (cardboard, wooden table) outside the case? This is the best start to confining the problem to certain hardware; easier to work on as well.

I'm in agreement. So then which to test? Obvious to me the old system. Is it safe to test briefly without a cooler? I just swapped the cooler to the new setup and low on both past and patience for pasting.

Not to go all Yoda on you, but patience is critical. After assembling outside the case, try to POST with only the basics: MB, PSU, RAM; and only one stick of RAM at that. If you get to POST, then shut down, add a stick of RAM, reboot. If good, add GPU. Reboot. If good, add RAM. Reboot. Etc. You are eliminating the options for bad parts, recognizing the good parts as you go. There still could be some other issues, but you've narrowed down the problem options. It's much cheaper than throwing $$ at the issue and still being frustrated. Also, have you made sure that your BIOS is up to date? GPU drivers? W7 up to date? All these, especially in combination, could exponentially drive you to have a shot of tequila, which in and of itself isn't such a bad timeout.

Breadboard test recommendations abound, but is that with or without a cpu cooler?

You definitely need some type of cooler for the CPU, doesn't matter what. OEM, custom, just don't take a chance on overheating as you'll throttle and not POST which is where you started.

Back