• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Imaging computers in bulk?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metallica

Let's say I have 100 computers, all of them being Dell Optiplex 755 (example)

What is the best way to make an image so I can image the drives quickly without problems?

I currently install windows on one of them, get all of the drivers/software/updates installed and then I create an image of the drive. This usually works, but I'm running into a lot of problems, like certain computers not taking the image (restarts during windows loading screen, or BSOD).

I've read a few things -
1. Certain computers have minor differences even though they all have the same model number, so the loaded drivers are causing the problems.
2. Something about windows installing with the computers "hardware ID's", and each one has unique ID's?
3. Transferring the image many times is causing the image to lose "integrity".

I'm not sure what's wrong.

So, I'm asking - is there a better way to do this? We get in many computers in bulk, all being the same model.

I've read about making a "universal" image, so when the machine starts for the first time, it finishes the system setup and user creation. Using the Audit function before the install finishes completely I can install any programs/settings, so I need to do is turn on the computer, finish the setup, and shut it back down.

I'm not even sure if this will work like I'm thinking, but I haven't been able to find a better solution.

Any ideas?

I read a similar, horribly confusing tutorial. This one is much easier to follow!

If each has their own key it will be a little more complicated probably as generally those guides are used for enterprise licenses. But you should be able to cut out a line or two from the answer file that may have it prompt you during setup, or worst case after you get into Windows you can add/change the key there.

Back