• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Improving case airflow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhilS

So, here is the deal. Recently I have finished my new built and now there is only one thing to do - provide good case airflow.

Currently I have one 80mm case fan exhausting air from the back of the case, PSU fan which is located at the bottom of the PSU.

What I need are some tips about improving the case airflow by adding/changing fans so as to attain lower temperatures (especially for HDD).
The case has holes at the bottom, so I can mount a fan if necessary.

Here are some photos of the case to give you an idea:

http://i55.tinypic.com/6fwa2x.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/x1y62p.jpg

Thank`s in advance.

Hi! Not sure what your full hardware is but it looks like it's middle of the road, maybe more.

Once you got more posts you can make a sig.

I'm sad to say, a case with a single 80mm exhaust fan is way behind the cooling curve.

You can help with a 4000RPM 80mm fan. Don't think you want that noise.

You should at a minimum have a 120mm in the front and a 120mm in the back. And thats minimum........... And not 4000 RPM, more like 1500 or so. Livable.

Look at a case thats been out for 5+ years, very popular and see it's cooling potential.
Antec 902.

You can do a lot with your case if your good with a dremel, opening the back to 120, and making a hole in the top for the same. Opening the front of the case for at least one 120 fan, maybe two.

So, consider the work, and what is offered on the market. Your case is so 2004, sorry to say, possibly longer than that. Stuff has got a lot more powerful, thus more heat.

Phils what do you need the extra air flow for?

If you had today's hottest graphics cards and a massive overclock on the CPU I could understand why but your rig isn't a heat maker.

Conundrum is right that you should get a totally new case. I'd suggest the Cooler Master 690 II.

It looks like your case is a big metal box which will hinder your airflow so either get the saw or get a new case. For now you should just buy some 120mm fan's and zip tie them to your case in locations you want them. Not them greatest move but it would work.

Phils what do you need the extra air flow for?

If you had today's hottest graphics cards and a massive overclock on the CPU I could understand why but your rig isn't a heat maker.

Conundrum is right that you should get a totally new case. I'd suggest the Cooler Master 690 II.

It looks like your case is a big metal box which will hinder your airflow so either get the saw or get a new case. For now you should just buy some 120mm fan's and zip tie them to your case in locations you want them. Not them greatest move but it would work.

Terminator....

Witha 80 mm in the back and crappy 80 mm holes in the front with ugly restrictive holes if they are even there, slappin fans is silly.

Nice happy post you made. Think for a bit... Then type................

BTW, great bling and much hard work on your neon sig. Special for sure.

I'd add a 120 to the bottom and maybe that's it. He already has two exhaust fans. Even two of the cheapest 80's can keep up with a single 120. There's no need in trying to exhaust more than you can take in.
So put some risers on the bottom of the case and lift it up a bit and add the 120 intake. Put the the fan close to the front of the case if you can, Under the hdd cage if possible.

As for HDD's themselves, the best way to keep HDD's cool is with a 120mm fan that intakes cool air (outside case) and blows directly over HDD's, keeps mine within 10C of ambient, for example hard drive cage attached to 120mm fan. It is a mandatory feature for any build I do (either comes that way or I will dremel/drill it that way, and havent had problems that I had in past with failing hard drives since keeping them much cooler.

Thank you all for the answers - helped me a lot. What makes sense to me the most at the moment is adding a 120mm fan at the bottom of the case since I am not sure if there is enough air for the exhaust fans to blow out.

Just one doubt that blurs my reasoning. Some time ago, I read somewhere that if the air pulled in = air pushed out the vacuum would disappear thus seriously obstructing the airflow. Is this true?

Thank you.

Antec 300. Consistently the best bang for the buck out there.

Thank you all for the answers - helped me a lot. What makes sense to me the most at the moment is adding a 120mm fan at the bottom of the case since I am not sure if there is enough air for the exhaust fans to blow out.

Just one doubt that blurs my reasoning. Some time ago, I read somewhere that if the air pulled in = air pushed out the vacuum would disappear thus seriously obstructing the airflow. Is this true?

Thank you.

No, unless you get into deep physics. LOL, it's airflow and CFM over the parts. No idea where that one came from.

Lots of people like more pressure because it doesn't collect dust in the cracks as dusty air seeps in the crack.

Really matters little. You just want good airflow. You need more.

+1, like conundrum said, for cooling purposes more flow = better, balanced or slightly positive or negative not important in testing my airflow. I keep mine at positive pressure, since it just works out that way as I want all my rads intaking cool air, and the possible dust benefit.

@ PhilS, when testing every fan configuration possible in my case with temp probes everywhere (pic 1), I have turned the top fans off, and only played with 3 in front (labeled in first pic 1-3 front, top one not visible is in dead space hard drive cage), and 3 in rear (psu, 1 top rear visible, 1 slightly higher behind top rad). See pic with 8 thermal sensors + monitoring gpu ambient sensor, nb sensor, mobo sensor, cpus/gpus, hard drive sensor.

Bottom line, negative or positive or balanced was only relevant in that adding more air flow = lowered temps.

1 top rear fan was important, 1 fan only in front did not work well.

1 fan top rear as baseline, add 1 fan front, case temps went down. Add second fan rear or second fan front, temps went down about same.

3 fans rear, 1 in front or 3 front and one rear, did not work as well as 2 front/2 rear, most likely from lost cfm from air resistance.

And if your comment was about dead spots, I have one dead spot in my case, and it is top front inside where hard drive is, labeled in pic, it is at worst 3C hotter, and most time 1-2C hotter. And that dead spot is there whether I have high negative pressure, 3 fans out and 1 in or positive 2 fans in and 1 out. That dead spot only goes away when I turn that hard drive cage on in that spot.

In second pic, first temp/sensor is ambient outside case, rest are scattered inside case, which I placed after playing around in different spots. Temps 7 and 8 are in and near the dead spot in front.

First row (2nd pic again) is front fan only (1 fan, through rad though), second row is 1 front 2 rear, third row is 2 front/2 rear), adding another front/rear fan decreases more, dont have that pic, and then last row is all fans, including top fans as I run it. And those 3 top fans blow air over my mobo, despite being expelled rad air, the moving air directly over mobo, nb, reduced all those temps, as opposed to them being off, and increase case flow, reduced inside case temps. (to get temps I ran prime, same ffts whole time, for 45 mins, then turned each additional fan, waited 20 mins to record, and for some variations had to repeat).

Or short answer, like conundrum said, more flow is better. Dont worry about neg, pos, balanced, unless either severely imbalanced, or talking about dust.

Attachments

• compsensors.jpg
    compsensors.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 190
  • testingcasefl1.jpg
    testingcasefl1.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
The last two comments help a lot! So I`ll figure out where to place the intake and exhaust fans, get some good ones, drill the case, and I can`t do anything more but get a new case.

BTW, I have not experienced any dust issues since the room itself if not dusty, so I`ll probably take the balanced route.

Thank you!

Back