• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Improving LTE transfer rates with a Booster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ilo

Just installed the Wilson Electronics AG Pro 4G (formerly AG Pro Quint) with the hopes of boosting our cell phone reception enough to use the LTE service as our internet.

I’m approximately 10km (6 miles) and without the booster we are getting about -110dBi, which is not great at all. With the booster installed we’re getting LTE from -60 to -65 dBi, which is pretty great. We’re averaging about 4-5 bars on an iPhone 6+.

I purchased a MiFi device and the connection is stable when browsing the internet. The only issue is that we’re getting a “slow” transfer rate: average 1-1.5 mbps down, and 1-1.5 mbps up. I work from home and video conference often; therefore, I’d like to improve the download and upload speeds - even if it’s just a little bit. I’ve tested speeds closer to the tower and I can get 15-20 mbps down and 5mb up, so I know it’s possible to get better speeds.

I’m wondering if anyone has any tips on how I could improve the transfer rate?

Some things I’ve been thinking of:

- I’m at an elevation of approximately 15 meters, the tower is on a mountain at approximately 75 meters. Would having the antenna much higher help improve transfer speed?

- The coaxial cables that came with the Wilson Electronics kit are 60 feet long, which is must longer than I need. Would shorter cables bet better if we still avoid oscillation?

Sorry if this is not the best forum to post this topic. If you know of other forums that would be helpful please let me know.

Thanks!

Coaxial does have length-dependent losses, so shortening that cable should help.
Whether it helps noticeably, I have no idea.

Is the antenna in a line of sight of the tower or does it have trees/buildings in the way?

I'm going to order a shorter coxial cable to see if it makes a significant difference.

The antenna is above the treeline my the area, but I suspect that there are trees/hills further away.

I doubt raising it any higher would do much good at that point.
Let us know how the cable does (how much shorter are you going btw)

I just tried forcing my MiFi into HSPA+ mode to see if the reception would be better and ran a test. The download is much better at approximently 2.5mbps, which is great. The upload suffers at 0.3mbps, which is no good for video conferencing.

Back