• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In bios my voltage goes between 1.4 and 1.49 on my 1600x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PotentialPit95

Registered
But its supposedly idling on 3.6ghz is this a problem should i change some settings or is my mobo reading wrong because i hear other peoples stays at 1.4 or 1.39

Try setting it manually to say, 1.25 and do some stress testing with say, Prime95 to check for stability. Run the default blend stress test for 20 minutes. If you pass the test (no blue screen, no lockups, no core workers stop) then try a lower voltage, say 1.24. Find the lowest voltage the chip is stable at when stress-tested. When you think you have the voltage zeroed in then run the stress test for 2 hr.

But its supposedly idling on 3.6ghz is this a problem should i change some settings or is my mobo reading wrong because i hear other peoples stays at 1.4 or 1.39

That's pretty normal for that CPU and depends on the mobo. Mine will run up to 1.45v when in auto but disabling the core boost and rebooting usually will drop that voltage to 1.35 ish. The 1600x boosts up to 4.1 GHz on two cores that's why it allows that much voltage.

That's pretty normal for that CPU and depends on the mobo. Mine will run up to 1.45v when in auto but disabling the core boost and rebooting usually will drop that voltage to 1.35 ish. The 1600x boosts up to 4.1 GHz on two cores that's why it allows that much voltage.

That kinda sounds like cutting your legs off cause you get hungry faster from running around.

I think i'd rather retain dual core performance especially if I'm not overclocking.

- - - Updated - - -

Try setting it manually to say, 1.25 and do some stress testing with say, Prime95 to check for stability. Run the default blend stress test for 20 minutes. If you pass the test (no blue screen, no lockups, no core workers stop) then try a lower voltage, say 1.24. Find the lowest voltage the chip is stable at when stress-tested. When you think you have the voltage zeroed in then run the stress test for 2 hr.

But will any cores boost to 4.1G when the CPU is being stressed? So then no matter how much you lower voltage, i don't think you can get a 4.1G boost so it won't ever spike to the higher voltages like that anyways.

Come to think on it: when undervolting won't it put the processor in 'overclock' mode which disables core boost? hmmmm

That kinda sounds like cutting your legs off cause you get hungry faster from running around.

I think i'd rather retain dual core performance especially if I'm not overclocking.

I was just explaining that's normal operation when core boost is active and included a demonstration so it's visible if they wanted to see it.

But will any cores boost to 4.1G when the CPU is being stressed? So then no matter how much you lower voltage, i don't think you can get a 4.1G boost so it won't ever spike to the higher voltages like that anyways.

Come to think on it: when undervolting won't it put the processor in 'overclock' mode which disables core boost? hmmmm
Yes it does go into OC mode so core boost is disabled but still enabled in BIOS it will give the higher voltage if left on Auto. I'm running mine at 4034 MHz on all cores using auto voltage

Back