• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Inputs on some parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zfreak1125

Hi guys...looking to watercool my new rig (first actual WC build). Gonna be like 2 months before I buy everything so I'm doing some research and am looking for some inputs from the experts. Here's what I'm planning to use:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
MB - ASUS Striker II Extreme
RAM - 2x OCZ Reaper DDR3 1333 PC3 10666
HDD - WD VelociRaptor
VID - 2x ASUS EN8800GTS
SND - SB X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
PSU - Antec TPQ-850
CASE - Not Sure....open to suggestions...thinking NZXT Tempest or Antec 900

Now at first I'm planning on just a single loop to cool the CPU and NB and just air cooling the 8800GTS's...plans to possibly water cool GPU's if temps aren't where I want them, so I'm gonna post what I plan on using for all of it and then asking for feedback.

CPU BLOCK - D-TEK FuZion V2
PUMP - Swiftech MCP655
RESERVOIR - Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir
RADIATOR - D-TEK PRO120 with D-TEK Fan Shroud

Tubing will either be 1/2" ID Tygon or 7/16" ID if I can find some good stuff. I would basically just double everything for the WC setup to make the second loop and just use the DD IONE for G92 on both cards. The 2 loops would be CPU/NB on one loop and the 2 8800GTS's on the other loop. Thinking of using the Tempest case and mounting the 2 rads at the top pre-drilled spots. I would like to keep everything inside the case and keep temps as low as possible.

My biggest question is are the 2 Pro-120's enough to keep those loops cool or would I be better off with dual 120's? Also, if you guys have any tips or replacement ideas they would be appreciated. Working on somewhat of a budget and would like to keep costs low in certain areas without cutting quality. Thanks for any help guys.

Looks good, I dunno anything about that rad, looks like a heater core. Probably about the same as most. The quad will be pushing that 1x120 pretty hard so you won't want any other heat load in the system. Also, I would play with the pump speed when you get it, with just the fuzion and 1x120 rad there won't be much restriction.

As far as putting the GTS under water, I would make that seperate loop, as adding two more blocks adds a lot of restriction.

One last thing, you know that quad has a 7.5x multi? The board might be able to do 500FSB, but even at that you're only doing 3750MHz. Probably a better idea to get a 45nm dual core that you can get over 4GHz to feed the vid cards.
Dan

Thanks for all the inputs guys....from what I gather I'm gonna be pushing those 2 120 rads close to the max and would be better off with a pair of 120.2s. Or would I be better off with a 120.2 on the CPU/NB loop and a 120.3 for the 2 GPUs? Anyone done a build in a Tempest or 900 with a pair of 120.2s and if so, how cramped is it getting in there? I would like to keep the case as open as possible for max air flow, without spending a ton of money on a case. Any suggestions are welcome...and thanks again for all the help.

Also, do you guys think I could get away with using a single 5.25" bay reservoir? What do you think of them?...my only worry with them would be fluid level dropping below the fittings and pumps sucking air? Is this actually a problem or am I just thinking too much? Thanks again for all the help.

Nice thing about a res is, you'll see it dropping before anything happens like that.

I would definitely gow with the larger rads. You could always do external(top, back, sides, bottom) for you rads. that case you could easily put on casters and mount one rad underneath and mount one on top.(or take the bottom HD rack out and mount BOTH internally). That would actually look very nice, and would work in the 900 as well I think(that big top fan could be an issue). Another smallish case I could see looking very nice with a twin loop setup would be that rocketfish/lian li case floating around. If I was not interested in going with a moutnain mods cube, that would be what I would get.

Also, do you guys think I could get away with using a single 5.25" bay reservoir? What do you think of them?...my only worry with them would be fluid level dropping below the fittings and pumps sucking air? Is this actually a problem or am I just thinking too much? Thanks again for all the help.

Stay away from bay reservoirs. They really don't work very well and have just had too many problems with leaking due to poor construction. I would recommend a Swiftech microres or EK res.

If you do want to go with a bay reservoir, you could get this one from Mountain Mods. And this is the bay mount for it. It takes up 3 bays of space, but it is well made. I just bought one of those for my new case build and while it's expensive, it is well built and is easily filled from the front. I did change the return barb from the top hole on the back of it to the middle hole because I was having too much turbulence in the reservoir, entraining air in the water. But that only involved unscrewing the barb out of the top hole and removing the plug from the middle hole and switching them around.

Back