• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed Graphics Cards - no post - new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skyFly

Hi,

I just bought the parts for my first from scratch build (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...t-build-ok-quick-info-buying-in-less-than-24h).

r9 290
z97x-gaming3
TS550W XFX

I put everything together, except for graphics card and it booted to bios. But after installing the graphics card the computer does not post, it does not show any signs of life (no lights, no fan, no nothing).

I installed it into the PCI-e x16 slot, connected the power (8pin + 6pin).

Is my card bad (note it seemed as if I received a already opened box, it was not sealed and it seemed used) ?

Thank you for you help

Boot without again and make sure you disable the on board GPU in your bios. Power down. insert new card, try again...

If it still doesn't post/no lights/etc... I would guess its the card, yes.

Without the graphics card it boots just fine. Also if the card is in the slot but not connected with 8 and 6 pin power connections, the computer boots and the graphics card fans are spinning. But as soon as I plug in 8 and 6 pin connectors the computer shows no signs of life (no sounds, no fan, no lights, nothing).

I'll try disabling the onboard GPU, though I'm not sure how to do it...

I wonder if this is that weird Asus compatibility thing...

You need to try that gpu in another pc really confirm what's going on.

So I'm wondering if the PSU has enough oomph to power that hairy GPU. Radeon R9 290s suck a lot of juice.

Don't think that the PSU would have a problem powering up this build. Maybe 8-6 connectors causing a short circuit?

The 8pin pcie connector is really hard to put in and put out, and I mean really hard. All other connectors go in very easily. Maybe there is something wrong with the connector on the card?

Though I'll probably just send the card back since the box was opened and the card seemed used.

Are you sure you are using the correct connectors for the video card? There is also an 8 pin for the motherboard.

Good question, but I don't think the 8 pin PCU fits in the PCIe and vice versa. This PSU only has one 8 pib for the CPU AFAIK?

Good question, but I don't think the 8 pin PCU fits in the PCIe and vice versa. This PSU only has one 8 pib for the CPU AFAIK?

Yeah, but OP said he was having trouble getting it to fit. I wonder if he was forcing it.

What PSU do you have?

Also, if the card was opened and "looked used" when you received it, you should have sent it back immediately, IMO.

Back