• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed SSD on IDE, can I switch to AHCI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

The MB is an Asus M4A89GTD PRO USB3 and I just installed Win 7 on a 850 EVO but used IDE instead of AHCI before I installed the OS. Can I switch to AHCI in the BIOS or do I need to reinstall the OS for this? I tried to switch in BIOS but the OS didn't launch. had setup error so I switched back.

Yes you can the driver nneds to be enabled in the registry and then change to AHCI in bios on restart. There are many guides on the internet just look for enabling AHCI In Win7.

Well I would have forgotten and done the same and then been asking here the same question......:(
so it's bookmarked.

However with the install of a new drive and OS and before installing programs, now is the time to experiment
with things like this because you really can't hurt anything! :thup:

That's only because it's an older board. All the new ones are default to AHCI. Also if using XP you need to install the drivers with the OS

Thanks to all..yes the registry edit worked...all is good. :thup:

Yes you can the driver nneds to be enabled in the registry and then change to AHCI in bios on restart. There are many guides on the internet just look for enabling AHCI In Win7.

Knowing this would have saved me a lot of work and aggravation! I never claimed to be a Windows guru. I started using Windows after only using Macs from 1990 to basically two years ago. When I started tinkering I pretty much quit using a Mac for anything.

Back