• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed W7 on Sony Vaio laptop, but only boots to recovery!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ov3rclock

Registered
Hey guys,

so I bought a used VGN-NR110E on craigslist for cheap. It already had Windows 7 installed on it even though it originally comes with Vista... However, there were a bunch of files on it so I wanted to format + reinstall Windows 7 ultimate.

I put in the disk and the installation went well, up until the last stages... it checked the video performance and prepared my desktop for first use... and then it just said "logging off" and "shutting down"

When the computer restarted, it didn't boot windows, just went straight to VAIO recovery. In there, it gave me the option to scan for hardware related problems... I did just that and there were no issues. There was also an option to restore C to factory Vista, but I really hate Vista and that is my last resort on this laptop.

I ran startup repair multiple times to see if there was any errors, but everything looks fine.

edit: I also burned the W7 DVD again, this time at 4x and I'm still getting the same error. I've already tried it about 5 times, and every time it goes through the same final stages and then shuts down, then goes to recovery. :-/

The weird thing is, when I load up Windows Boot manager, it doesn't even have Windows 7 for me to choose, even though it is installed... only the Vaio Recovery is available to boot. :bang head

oh and the laptop didn't come with a battery so I'm using it connected to the power supply... would that have anything to do with it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Okay, so I deleted the recovery partition altogether(probably a bad idea) to make sure it doesn't boot to it anymore... and now when I boot, it just gives me this:

2uz2o3t.jpg

Where should I go from here?

Did you reinstall after deleting the recovery partition? It probably uses the recovey partition as the boot sector.

Back