• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed WC kit, comp shuts off after 5 sec

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hm.. if it still doesn't work it could be the PSU.
if u ahve a handy volt meter, try testing out ur 12v/5v.
same thing happend with my computer and when i tested the 12v, it read 14.5v :-/

Hey Mkelly09, just a few days ago, I experienced just about the same thing you did, I had water spray all over my motherboard and video card, water went in my agp slot and was actually dripping through to the underside of the mobo. I tried switching the system on about an hour after the spill, went on, but no video, then shutdown. I began to worry a bit, then I put a fan in front of the mobo, went away for a couple hours, came back, crossed my fingers and hit the power button, poofff, everything came up. Hopefully you just have let it completely dry off, good luck.

Uh oh.

The water block was definetly not on correctly. i could take it out of the case pretty easily, and then.. the faint smell of burning hit the air. Damn. I took out my proc and well, i can't tell if its fried by looking at it, but if i put it close to my nose and smell.. theres definetly a burning smell.. the thermal compound is mostly off it, and around the edges of it now..

is it most likely gone?

Well its definetly gone..oh well, it was a POS anyway.. but still =(

Hopefully thats the only problem, but with my luck, ill buy a new CPU, find out that the mobo is fried, buy a new mobo and realize that my PS cant support the pump =( lol. Anyways, thanks for all your help guys!

no, i never felt water leaking.. and of course i leak tested it before i installed it.

Thing is, after i installed it, i realized the tubing was too long. So, being an impatient ******* that i am, i drained the system, and instead of taking everything out, i just took the tube out of the cpu block, cut it, and when i came back i knocked the cpu block, and it turned almost upside down, and there was some coolant left in there, which spilled on the mobo. Like i said, hopefully thats not hte problem, just the CPU.

doesn't the swiftech blocks want you to loosen the screws to release the springs? I guess that you could have a fried CPU but really I would doubt it. I would just reinstall it and see what happens. I hope that you bought retail :(

Well i mean the CPU smells like burnt toast. I took off the cpu block and put on the retail heatsink and fan and it did not post.

Yes, the springs release when you loosen the screws, but the screws were as tight as they could go, and i was almost positive that there was contact between the cpu and the block.. its weird..

At least AMDs aren't too expensive and you can always cut pins off old and mount it to keys :)

But more serious:
- your old CPU - R.I.P.
- try to apply thermal compound carefully
- make sure that there's a good pressure holding WB on CPU
- WB shouldn't move easily and neer be attached in the way that it applies force to core edge
- in BIOS, enable CPU overheat protection if only your bios supports it, if not - update bios and try again (on ASUS board's it's ususally called C.O.P.)
- I suggest having MBM5 running in windows, with fast shut-off on CPU overheating

Back