• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing ethernet in my house? :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CharMz

I plan to get rid of my wireless networking and wire 2 rooms with ethernet jacks..

So my questions are:

Is Cat 6 the way to go over cat5e?
And are there different types of Cat6 cable??

I live in the US...so please recommend good ethernet cables, and jacks:

I will need...
1x - 75ft Cat6 ethernet cable
1x - 25ft Cat6 ethernet cable
1x - socket faceplate with two ethernet holes (Placed in room with cable modem/router)
2x - socket faceplate with one ethernet hole
4x - Cat6 ethernet jacks

Thanks

Cat5e will transmit gigabit but isn't very durable and won't do well for long runs (in your case 75 feet of cat5e would suffice). But the last I checked the pricing on cat6 was reasonable... ? There's several grades to cabling (plenum, etc). Cheap is fine for basic home installations. Advantages with better cabling are for durability and efficiency over great distances. Neither will be a factor here.

monoprice.com is a good online retailer for cabling and such. Locally a graybar warehouse would have the remaining things you need, for a premium (but you could at least see what you're buying). You might want to terminate the end of the cables yourself, so grab some RJ45 caps and a crimper tool. There's instructions online for creating your own cable. It makes running the cable easier without the end on it, especially if you're drilling holes and fishing things through a wall.

Last edited:
monoprice.com is awesome pinky..

but does anyone know where i can get Cat6a STP and Cat6a jacks the cheapest??

monoprice is out of the cable, and does not have jacks

Back