• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing question on ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LadyQuake

Registered
Hi, Ill be getting a ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE soon and getting ready to install I got the online manual, but there are couple of things that are not clear that someone here may know. I included pics from manual so its easier.

1) USB connector, my case connectors for USB had these labels on plugs GND, Data-, Data+,VCC+ and a separate 1 pin on same cable labels Shield, does the Shield pin go on the pin labelled NC on the diagram below you think?

Header-usb.jpg

2) Header pin, couple of questions on this:

2a) My plugs from case have a triangle on one side and I found out this means '+', on the diagram below the Reset SW and Power SW does not show what side + should go, is ground or GND on those the minus side?

Header-other.jpg

2b) Power SW plug this the same as ATX Power Switch Label? I only ask because the description says:

Header-other2.jpg

but I cant see whereelse the Power SW plug goes so must be this mustnt it?

Hopefully be trying to install it Tuesday/Wednesday as my other board went, im hoping my other components still work after my other one went wrong and died, but as i was recently made redundant i think ill try another socket A board before i have to spend out on a new computer.

shirl

:welcome: to OCF!

1. Shield is often the same as ground in electronics but in this case I'd say it has to be NC (that usually means "not connected"). VCC+ is the USB+ 5V and GND is obvious - that's the power leads. Data+ and Data- is USB P5+ and USB P5-, the data lines. There simply aren't any other options.

2a. Yes, minus = ground.

2b. Power SW = ATX. A lot of manuals/directions (both motherboard and case) just get sloppy or have bad translations. The old power switches didn't do anything except OFF/ON - and the switches themselves still do that, it's the motherboards that have changed.

Hope that helps - and good luck with the install ...! :)

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks that cleared things up.

Im hoping that my other components were not damaged when the other board went, as I think it must had some electrical problem, it didnt turn on for like 20 tries, didnt save on close down and hanged, and didnt save BIOS info when it did start, tried the easy thing put new battery but no difference. Then put in a new PSU I knew worked and that was it it sparked and smoked :mad:

Shirl

Yeah, smoke is never a good sign. :( If it came from the board there's a chance it's the power circuits and hopefully didn't take anything else with them ...

Hi

Just to say the replacement secondhand board went in ok and works ok, I hope it lasts a few months.

Just a quickie is this temperature ok for CPU
Its a Socket A Althon 3200 200fsb

Its says its 55 C / 131 F

Is that ok?

I did put an extra small fan in (cable tied to a HD bay) and also put a blower above the CPU's Fan blowing down on it too. Cant think of much else to do.

Also I got 2 front Fans, 1 rear and a 5.25 Bay Fan also.

thanks
Shirl

55c is okay temp for that cpu under load but you didn't specify if that is an idle temp or a load temp.

Hi

I had the temperature showing on the BIOS setting screen where it says the temperatures, left it on that for about 5 mins.

Maybe ill get one of those grid fronts to put in one bay that Lian-Li cases have.

shirl

Temperature as it shows in bios would be idle temp. 55c idle temp is high! That would be an acceptable temp under load but not at idle. Something is wrong.

Tell us about your CPU heatsink/fan (HSF). Is it a stock OEM cooler?

What kind of thermal paste did you use and what method did you use to apply it? How much did you put on? Did you spread it with your finger or use the "dollup" method?

What about your case air flow? How many fans, what size, and where are they located?

Hi

CPU Fan is a Artic Cooling (its a copper silent 1 or 2), I tried to find a pic of it on google images but cant its got like 4 bars coming up over fan. Quite a large/high Heatsink to.

Also got a coolermaster blower blowing on CPU direction to.

Ive got a 8cm fan on back of case

2 x 8cm fans front of case

5.25mm Bay fan

I cable-tied a 4cm fan in an empty HD case pointing towards CPU way to!

CPU paste I smeared over the Core only.

I got a large case to a Jeantech Butterfly V2, dont think they make those now but they are a thick steel type case.

With the side slightly open and its been on since my last message, the temperature is about 53 c / 128 f

CPU Paste is Artic Cooling MX-2. Used that one my last motherboard seems ok then.

Think I should get an exhaust fan or something in the front bay that may help?

thanks
Shirl

Last edited:
There's a good way to test if your case airflow is a problem. Open the side of the case a point a room fan into it. If the temps go down a lot there's a problem. 1-2°C is expected ...

Are you in the UK? Somebody on the forum yesterday also had a Jeantech case and they were in the UK. Never heard of that brand before yesterday. What about your cable and wire management. If they obstruct the flow or air that is bad. Work at tying them up and tucking them away.

Hi

Yes im in UK, You probably saw my other message, I was after spring clip standoffs then.

I just restarted computer as it downloaded some win updates, went into bios again with side open after 3/4 hours useage the temp was 52 c 125 f

Ill look at wires again see if can move them better place, ive sent away just now for an exhaust fan and a front grid like bezel, ill see when they come if they make it better.

For now ill leave side slightly open just incase.

thanks
shirl

Back